The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Before knowing that I would have rainbowfish in my low-tech, planted 55 gallon tank, I added pool filter sand (PFS) as substrate. But later I learned that rainbows liker darker substrate and decided to use botanicals on the top of the sand to make the substrate darker. Please see below a video of the tank before and after the introduction of botanicals. Due to hurricane Ida and 9 days without electricity, I had to empty the tank and move the fish out. Another hobbyist was kind enough to offer to foster my fish. I am going back to New Orleans and will reset the tank. I want to get rid of the PFS and stop using botanicals. The tank will continue to be a low-tech tank (no CO2) and I am aiming for a black or dark sand or substrate that looks good and is more appropriate for plants. I am not sure if Seachem's flourite black sand is the best option. I would appreciate hints/recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've used Eco Complete and Top Fin aquatic black sand both of which are inert. The black sand is "blacker" and much finer than the eco. Currently I'm using Fluval Stratum which is not inert. It's newish so I can't say how great it is or not, but it so far I think it's working well. None of these options are as cheap as that pool filter sand. If you want to go cheap a lot of hobbyists report using black diamond blasting sand, but I've also heard other say it's abrasive. I can't get it here to try it so I've not used it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. I am going to try Black Diamond Blasting Sand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts