The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to all,

All the best wishes for this new year!
I have an anubia on driftwood that is getting some black spots on the leaves. This happened maybe over 2 months or so. It also happened to my Hygrophila Corymbosa. These can bee seen in the pictures below. I have tried to scrape these out with my hands however it doesn't seem to be algae. Looks and feels as if it's embedded in the leaf. Any idea as to what it is or could be?

It's a 65 gallon tank which is dosed with dry fertilizers for potassium with potassium sulphate. Don't dose nitrates since I am able to hold around 30 ppm with my current fish stock (sometimes this nitrate concentration climbs to 60 ppm in about a month). Phosphate is around 2 ppm. I also dose trace elements using Seachem Flourish. Also dosing Seachem Flourish Excel. I have 2, 40 Watt 6700K T8 bulbs which are on for 8 hours a day with a 2 hour siesta in between. I get less algae with this lighting scheme.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
This may or may not have any baring on your plants condition but can you alos posts pH, gh, temp. Are the plants showing these symptoms ones you bought "recently" before the spots started showing? are the spots only showing on old leaves not new growth?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes these spots are only showing up on the old leaves of the anubia and hydrophila corymbosa. I have this anubia for about a year and it together with the corymbosa and some of my amazon swords started showing these spots when I started dosing dry potassium sulphate which was around October 2013. I noticed the spots one month later. However, after starting the potassium dosing I realized that the new leaves of my corymbosa, cryptocoryne aponogetifolia and some other plants we're getting larger and looking much better but the older leaves we're getting curled like the one showed in the pic or even turning white and melting away or becoming easily detached from the stem.

I get BBA from time to time on some other plants but i just scrape it off using my hands. This one can't be scraped off.

The pH is 7.2
GH is 143 ppm
KH is 36 ppm (on the low side)
Highest temperature being 32 C during daytime, lowest 26 C in the night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.