The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

We have a 30 gallon tank with 1 adult angelfish and a few corys. Recently, we've noticed some black spots on the angelfish. After a quick Google, the only information we could find is that it might be fin rot, but s/he isn't showing any of the other signs - s/he's still healthy, active and eating, and the weirdest thing is, the spots come and go, kind of like the stripes/markings on his/her body. One day s/he'll have a bunch on the side and fins, the next day just a few on the fins, the next day hardly any at all.

We haven't done anything new for the tank, the food is the same, etc etc. Any ideas on what it could be?

I'll see if I can get a good picture, then I'll come back and upload it, but really they're just tiny black spots that are there one day and gone the next.

Edit: Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, Amm/No2/No3 are all regular non-existent levels, we do weekly water changes, treat the water, etc etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey guys,

We have a 30 gallon tank with 1 adult angelfish and a few corys. Recently, we've noticed some black spots on the angelfish. After a quick Google, the only information we could find is that it might be fin rot, but s/he isn't showing any of the other signs - s/he's still healthy, active and eating, and the weirdest thing is, the spots come and go, kind of like the stripes/markings on his/her body. One day s/he'll have a bunch on the side and fins, the next day just a few on the fins, the next day hardly any at all.

We haven't done anything new for the tank, the food is the same, etc etc. Any ideas on what it could be?

I'll see if I can get a good picture, then I'll come back and upload it, but really they're just tiny black spots that are there one day and gone the next.

Edit: Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, Amm/No2/No3 are all regular non-existent levels, we do weekly water changes, treat the water, etc etc.
Does it look like this? http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online-guide.com/image-files/blackspots1.jpg That is a small fin- they are pretty small.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, actually. Sorry, I will be getting a picture as soon as my wife takes one. The camera is hers :).

But yes, they look exactly like that, but are rarely that many.
There is a 'blackspot disease' that is commonly salt-water only. Recently, though, they discovered this blackspot parasite can survive freshwater and I am sure it has been infecting freshwater fish. You are the second fwf owner who I have seen with this in the past couple of months.

Normally you would do a saltwater dip for a freshwater parasite- unfortunately this has no effect on these guys. I would try Paraguard and watch for any residual fungal or bacterial infections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.