The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to get black sand substrate for my 180 gallon tank. I don't want to use the black diamond blasting stand. What do you guys suggest? Not really worried about cost, I just want to make sure it all black and will work well with planted tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just not a fan of the black diamond for some reason.

Guy that I know getting out of fish keeping, and he has a ton of CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, that he willing to give me for free, it should be enough for the 180. Will that stuff work good, or better off getting that Flourite black? Money not really a concern as it in the budget.

Thanks everyone

At nearly three pounds per gal to get around three inches of substrate, I would choose the black diamond every day.
If money were no concern,then Flourite black would be my choice.
Which one the normal Flourite black or the Flourite black sand?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Caribsea Tahitian moon sand is inert where Flourite black is porous clay which has the ability to hold nutrient's for a long,long,time.
For planted tank,I would choose the fluorite black to help supply root's with nutrient's it adsorbs over time .
Need to rinse both ,and best way I have found to rinse large amount's quickly, is to place some in an old pillow case and run garden hose into the pillow case till water run's clearer than at first.
Then dump the pillow case into small tub and repeat until it's all been rinsed.
Place it in the tank and place a dinner plate or bowl on the substrate and fill the tank slowly by running the hose into the plate/bowl.
Let the tank settle for an hour, after it's filled,and then turn the filter's on.
As for black sand or fluorite dark,either or as per your preference.
Read up on em.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Black Diamond- and you can order it in different sized "grit".......

·
Registered
159 Posts
Guy that I know getting out of fish keeping, and he has a ton of CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, that he willing to give me for free, it should be enough for the 180. Will that stuff work good, or better off getting that Flourite black?
I have 150 lbs of Tahitian Moon Sand in my 125 and love it. Easy to plant in and pretty. My cories are going to go nuts in it, I'm sure, when I move them over from the 29 they're currently in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a lot of corys on black diamond no problems!

Thanks! Im thinking about changing to a black sand, I'd be willing pay for black aquarium sand, but I have a TSC near me. I think I'll buy the black diamond first and if I don't like it I'm only out less than ten bucks.

Which kind do you have? Fine? Medium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used black Activ Flora in my tanks and loved it. It was a bit of a pain to find but I really like how it hold the plants and is not at all cloudy when disturbed. I did not wash mine when I put it in as there were so many conflicting theories that I just went with the manufacturers advice. I figured they would be out of business if they ruined everyone's tanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.