The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had three black moors die in the last year, they seem to be having problems with their air bladder-swim bladder???? They tend to end up floating on their sides at the top of the tank, then I wake up to them laying on the bottom of the tank. I was wondering if this is more common in black moors, or if other fancy goldfish are prone to it. I really don't want to buy any more fish just to watch them die:frown:. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Some fish at local petstores are weak or sick already. stressed out from shipping then put in water that is shared with other weak and stressed fish. so when you buy them watch for a nice healthy fish. and watch fish in the same tank for odd behavior too. are you keeping your goldfish in a filtered and heated tank? How big is the tank? is it cycled fully. do you test your water conditions? do you use dechlorinator? Black moors and telescope goldfish have bad vision and shouldnt be kept with any sharp items. i even removed my plastic plants. i think amonia kills most goldfish. swim bladder is an issue with fancies. they can be fed deshelled lighty cooked peas once a week to help with this. also feeding small amounts twice a day helps also. If you want a goldfish a 29 gallon tank is best. or bigger. you could keep 2 goldfish in a 29 for several years till they grow up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's odd... they float and die right away? A lot of goldfish with swim bladder problems float chronically but it's not really a deadly thing. Any other symptoms, or just the floating? In regular sbd feeding deshelled peas and soaking pellet food before feeding can prevent floating, but this doesn't sound like regular sbd... I don't really have experience with it though (knock on wood) so I'm probably not the best person to help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been fasting my goldfish one day a week and then feeding them shelled peas the next day toi help clean their digestive tracts. The only fish I've lost out of this tank have been black moors and they do fine for a couple months then start to go down hill. The tank has been upand running for almost a year and I have been doing 50 percent water changes weekly. I only test for amonia but the test always come out at safe levels. It's a 75 gallon tank with quite a few plants. Current stocking iss two red fantails, one red cap oranda, two bristlenose pleco, five white cloud minows. I wasn't very clear earlier when I said that they float on their side and then die. They seem to tilt to one side more and more and then eventually end up at the bottom of the tank. The fasting and peas only seem to prolong the life of the fish. Also I have had the other three gold fish for almost a year also and they have not had any problems. ??? I just don't want to do this to another fish. Thanks for all of your responses so far.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep the tank about 72 degrees, and I have been declorinating the water. As far as other symptoms the last fish did have white patches on his dorsal fin (fin on back?) Melafix seemed to help with these patches. Don't think it was ich. They weren't little dots and only showed up on the dorsal fin once he started spending a lot of time at the top of the tank.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with coffee. It was probably a problem with the fish, and not you. In my experience, if you take care of the basics it is pretty hard to kill fish, and it seems that you have the basics covered. I think those fish have been selectively bred into the ground, myself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fancy goldfish are prone to swim bladder problems. So it may be it was just the fish, nothing you did or didn't do. That said, be on the lookout for floating poo. It's a sign what you're feeding is making them gassy, which will lead to swim bladder problems. If they start having trouble and are flipping over, it will cause stress that can shorten their life down to a few months. I would suggest checking the GAB Articles on illness and treatment for some help with the problem. This article in the series should be of most importance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.