The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon ciclid tank (no live plants) and two of my peacocks have these black pinhead size dots on them. They look like ich but they are black. I first noticed them around their mouth. I'm not sure what it is exactly but its got to be a parasite. The fish are swimming at the top, they have ripped clamped fins and they occasionally rub up against the rock pile. This is a well established tank and I have not added anything to the tank in months. The water parameters have not changed. I checked my 5 other aquariums and all my fish are fine (for now). Anyone have to deal with this before? I have some aquarium salt I've never used can I treat with that? If so how much do I add and how often? I really really really don't want to have to dye my tank blue!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Are the dots anywhere other than the mouth? By the way, if the fins on your fish are shredded, it's a pretty good sign that there has been some nasty fighting in the tank lately. Might be a good idea to quarantine the afflicted fish.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cichlids get those some times from feeding to much of a food usly spirulina my strawberry has a few small black spots it is not a fungus or ick.
Try googling the issue and you will find info .
Could be stress related but most likely food.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the dots anywhere other than the mouth? By the way, if the fins on your fish are shredded, it's a pretty good sign that there has been some nasty fighting in the tank lately. Might be a good idea to quarantine the afflicted fish.
yes the dots are all over there body. They seem to be getting worse. Unfortunately my quarantine tanks are being occupied by some other fish who are waiting to go in a new tank... Something's going on with them, they are rubbing against the gravel and rocks. My assumption is when they rub they are trying to get something off their body, that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cichlids get those some times from feeding to much of a food usly spirulina my strawberry has a few small black spots it is not a fungus or ick.
Try googling the issue and you will find info .
Could be stress related but most likely food.
I checked the food I give them I don't see spirulina listed on it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If there rubbing/flashing against rocks there is a issue need to make sure your water primators are safe for the fish them do a good vacuum and 50% water change add 1tbsp aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water to your tank if the rubbing persists then treat with para guard or your preference for meds.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there rubbing/flashing against rocks there is a issue need to make sure your water primators are safe for the fish them do a good vacuum and 50% water change add 1tbsp aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water to your tank if the rubbing persists then treat with para guard or your preference for meds.
My readings are good. So 1 tbsp per 10 gallons is that everyday till I see improvement?

·
Registered
625 Posts
My readings are good. So 1 tbsp per 10 gallons is that everyday till I see improvement?
Mix the amount of salt you need in a container and add slowly over a 12 hour period , the salt does not go away so until you do another water change you do not need to add any more ,it will take a couple days for you to notice any change in the fish after 2 days if no improvement then I would medicate.
I have had really good luck with Para Guard for a med it cures almost everything and its really mellow on the fish and tank.
I add some salt with every water change my fish like it and it does not hurt the plants ,I only stock cichlids in 3 tanks

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mix the amount of salt you need in a container and add slowly over a 12 hour period , the salt does not go away so until you do another water change you do not need to add any more ,it will take a couple days for you to notice any change in the fish after 2 days if no improvement then I would medicate.
I have had really good luck with Para Guard for a med it cures almost everything and its really mellow on the fish and tank.
I add some salt with every water change my fish like it and it does not hurt the plants ,I only stock cichlids in 3 tanks
Ok thanks I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aqguy,
I tried the salt method you told me to, it works great my fish stopped swimming at the surface and his fins healed up in 24 hours. Thank you. I will definitely be using salt from now on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Its amazing what a little salt can do , like I said goes into all my water changes at about 1tbsp per 20g thats about half of what you would treat a problem with

1 - 12 of 12 Posts