The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and grabbed a 50lb bag of Black Diamond Blasting Media 20/40 from Tractor Supply today along with a brand new Tractor Supply bucket and lid. Came home, dumped it all in the clean bucket, added water and started stirring and sifting. First thing I noticed is that there were some sharp pieces and a lot of little tubular pieces. Anyone else have pieces like this in theirs?

Secondly, after a good 35-45 minutes of sifting, stirring and rinsing there was still an oily sheen on the water, oily sheen bubbles coming up from the bottom and the bucket's sides were coated in a dark grease. Is this normal of this stuff?

Working on getting pictures up right now.

Bump:

Here's the real kicker....I found this within the first five minutes of sifting, it was not flexible and it did not bend or break.

Is all this what everyone else has experienced as well?

Can/should I use this?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oily sheen, yes...the tubes and larger pieces, no. I wonder if you got a bad container. Mine were in 50# bags from TSC, not containers with lids.
haha, sorry I purchased a Tractor Supply bucket with lid to use for this purpose :tongue: It came in a bag.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh...gotcha. I have 3 cats, so buckets are never anything requiring purchase, ha! :hihi:
haha I considered using a cat litter container, but apparently it got washed out with soap, so that was a no go.

So what's the deal here? Should I toss this stuff and gamble on another bag or make the jump to Petco Black Aquarium Sand?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For the record, I went and exchanged the bag for another one today, MUCH better! All fifty pounds washed and cleaned, sitting in a Petco bucket waiting to be used!

As a related note, obviously I couldn't remove all the water and dry it before putting it in the bucket. Some of it is going to get used very soon for my ten gallon, the rest is in the foreseeable future for the twenty gallon. Is it okay for this stuff to sit in the bucket with water until then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts