·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pics . Does some of that stuff come out when it is washed ? I guess I am just over protective...lol

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments so far . I may give it a try . There is a Tractor Supply about 3 miles from me .

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
20/40 grit for me as well.30/60 grit is finer.
I too saw the photo a couple year's ago.
Could have been just something that found it's way into that particular bag/batch or..staged .
I found a mouse on my whopper from Burger King,(not really) but would happily settle out of court, for free whopper's for life.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Count me in the good luck with bdbs column. I use 30/60 as it is whats available locally. I also have cory who are doing well in it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to try it , but , my TS is out of BDBS....:frown2: . Guess I will have to wait till next week .

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Went to another TS and got a bag of 20/40 . Will start on the redo tomorrow , so here is a before pic......I decided to try it on my 10 gal fry/plant grow out tank first . If I like it I may do my 75 .

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I presume these are safe, yeah? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Blasting-Abrasive-Misc/dp/B0000AXAUQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=black%20diamond%20sand&qid=1461454629&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive [Misc.]: Home Improvement[/ame]

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not sure that is the same stuff , but shipping will be a killer . Try to find a Northern Tool or Tractor Supply locally .

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So got the redo done . Took about 2 hours . I found nothing in the BDBS but the grit and some larger pieces that I just sifted out . It did take a lot of rinsing . Once in the tank it settled quickly in about 30 mins . It is almost crystal clear again now about 3 hours after done . I like the look and it is much easier to plant in . Thanks to all for helping with my concerns and giving me the confidence to try it . I recommend BDBS to all with planted tanks .
Here is a pic about an hour after finishing . The MTS and Ramshorns don't know what to do yet , but the fish love it....lol

Reactions: rebelbuck1993

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Some of that stuff is scattered about but Ive never found it to be a problem. Been using 20/40 for a few years in several different tanks

All with very happy cories

Look at those barbells on those cories clearly not suffering!

Reactions: BettaBettas

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have it in my 75g almost a year now with no problems, 20/40 grit from tractor supply. just make sure to rise it very well. i just rescaped my tank last week and here's what it looks like 1hr after a rescape
[/URL][/IMG]
and here is what it looks like when the tank is settled older photo
[/URL][/IMG]
What substrate you using under the black sand or are you using 100% only black sand

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have 20/40 in my tanks, looking at keeping shell dwellers, would the 20/40 be too big for them to move around and make their homes?
nope,it's pretty small.I set up a tank with it as a cap over MGOCPM,rinsed it in a bucket while stirring it with my hands,didn't get any cuts,no foreign material either.

it did leave an oily looking residue that washed out with plain water on the bucket though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
nope,it's pretty small.I set up a tank with it as a cap over MGOCPM,rinsed it in a bucket while stirring it with my hands,didn't get any cuts,no foreign material either.

it did leave an oily looking residue that washed out with plain water on the bucket though.
I've bought six bags of this stuff and use it in all my tanks. It does require a bit of rinsing as you stated but I find it excellent to plant in and fairly easy to clean. I just wasn't sure about the shell dwellers as I've never kept them and thought they might be happier with the finer grade as my tractor supply stocks both. Thanks for the reply

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.