The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading a 30 long to a 40 gal acrylic tank . The 30 has been going for a couple of years . It has BDBS for substrate and is heavily planted . Low tech with Java Ferns, Crypts, Water Sprite,Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, and some stem plants I can't recall the name of . I am going to use the same BDBS and add some for the 40 . My question is , if I rinse the old BDBS to get some of the detritus and mulm out will it kill enough beneficial bacteria to cause a problem ? I run a Marinland Magnum 220 canister and am going to switch it to new tank as well . The filter is very well established so I think with that and all the plants I will be fine . Just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what was the outcome . TIA .

Reactions: Econde

·
Registered
250 Posts
I dont think it'd be a big deal. The major the beneficial bacteria is in the filter. Maybe hold off on filter maintenance for a week or two ahead of the change. Once the change over is done, just keep an eye on the ammonia but I bet it'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Much of the beneficial bacteria is in the substrate, on plants, etc.

I have done this before. Had three filters that were very well established.

Still had a mini cycle. Nothing terrible, but enough to keep an eye on it closely and perform a few extra water changes as needed. Was over within two weeks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ,
That is why I asked because depending on who you ask the most bb could be in the filter or the substrate . I am sure that there will be more bb in the rinsed BDBS than in a new bag....lol Also when I rinse it will be a good time to thin out the MTS population .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.