The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am so excited! I've been slowly putting this 40 gallon breeder together. I do have a quick question about the behavior with an Eheim 2217 and Black Diamond Blasting Sand.

Right now I have nothing in the tank except half a sponge filter to help jump start the tank and the BDBS with the Eheim 2217 running. Waiting for my light to come in, so please excuse the one pictured.

I've experienced a "sand dune" that forms from the spray bar current starting in back hitting the glass in the front, and the current rolling the water back off the substrate...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is this because I've got no plants in there to break the current up a bit?
Anything I missed in the setup?

FWIW, I'm running just the stock media sold with the 2217. I tried to upload pictures, but taptalk for some reason keeps saying they failed.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You may just have to adjust the spray bar angle a bit so it doesn't move the substrate.

Adding decor such as rocks, driftwood and plants will block some of the water movement but you will still need to tweak the spray bar angle a bit.

I don't think tapatalk is supported anymore?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 40 breeder with a H.O.T Magnum 250 that is old as dirt. Never ran it without plants and scape... never had that problem. I even had a circulation pump running as well. IMHO when you plant and scape, it will break up the flow and cure that. Mine exited the filter along the long edge because I thought that might be a problem if I discharged inn the short way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I assumed the spray bar was supposed to go along the long (back) wall for optimum flow for the 2217. Maybe I'll try to readjust and see if it makes a difference for now, and run the spray bar along the short edge if after it is planted and scaped if it still gives trouble.

Learning Tapatalk doesn't show the for sale section either... bummer! Seems Tapatalk doesn't play nicely with PT!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.