The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else have trouble keeping inverts in tanks with black diamond blasting sand?

I have two 20L tanks with black diamond in them.. neither of them will support Nerites or Shrimp. (one will let ghost shrimp survive about two weeks but no longer). is it more likely that i have the same problem in two tanks, or is it the blasting sand killing them?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have the stuff in 4 aquariums ranging from 5 gallons to 125 gallons and not had any problems with any of the livestock, including inverts (crawfish of several species, cherry shrimps, ghost shrimp, ramshorns and MTS ) and lots of cories. I purchased 6 bags one day and have been using it as needed since then. It has been several years in the oldest tank.

edit: I also don't rinse it first, seems a HUGE waste of time. I've never had issues with it right out of the bag.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have blasting sand in a 20g with nerites/RCS/Amano and it has been up for over a year without issue. I Also have a 75g with nerites/Amano that has been up for a year without problems.

Ben

Reactions: wmnash

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm in the no issues club. I started off with about 14 or so cherry shrimps and now have I dont know how many and that is with me feeding the little ones to my calvus. Right now I have multiple berried females. I use bdbs capping yard dirt.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i was thinking, that my problem is something else....the only similarities between the tank is the water, filters, and sand. Both tanks use the same rodi that my other two tanks use including a TT/RCS tank and my big 40b (with nerites in both tanks),and the filters both ran on one tank to start the cycle of the second tank.

idk, i'm breaking down of the BDBS this week and am going to turn it into a vivarium. so i may never find out what the problem was in both tanks....

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have black diamond in all my tans, including a 12g long with large cherry shrimp colony, 55g (that use to have nerites (one was killed by a fish when moved, I sold the other after that)), and 2g cookie jar and also has some cherry shrimp. The shrimp tanks have been going for over a year and a half without issue. Unless you have a very deep substrate with aerobic build up that it breaking through into the water column black diamond would not be an issue, or soil;l under the sand and its still newly setup (not several months old as the soil can leech ammonia into the water column.
If the tanks ever got any meds in them many aquatic meds contain copper, it stays with the tank (I think I read it sinks into the silicone?) and that will kill shrimp and snails.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've kept shrimp, nerite snails, mts, bamboo shrimp, vampire shrimp, dwarf and self-cloning crayfish, and rabbit snails over black diamond no problem. Though you might run into problems if you don't rinse it before using.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I set up a 36 gallon with the Diamond Black and it was essentially a death sentence to any shrimp that entered. Of 3 amanos one was dead within 30 minutes and the other two within 24 hours. When I introduced tetras I lost 1 of 3. Another group of Amanos were introduced and died just like the previous 3. I drained and filled it several more times and that finally seemed to reduce mortality. Aside from multiple rinses I didn't make any other changes. Remember this stuff is meant for sand blasting and not supporting biological life so I dont imagine theres very stringent standards or uniformity on this media. Rinse the hell out of it before you use it. All of the aforementioned deaths occurred before any measurable ammonia/nitrite/nitrate was in the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.