The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size medium did those of you use, that have used the black diamond / beauty blasting abrasive? My local tractor supply carries a 20/40 and a 30/60 grit.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm doing 100lbs of pool filter sand and 50lbs of 30/60 coal slag in my 72 gallon bow. It's a little bit finer than 20/40, but it's plenty coarse to settle out and not cloud the water. A finer grit will slow down the speed of root-tab nutrients leeching out into the water column. (the finer the grain, the less interstitial-space there is between each particle... the less space there is, the harder it is for water / nutrients to circulate through)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=10705&title=driftwood_7c.jpg

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I could only find it in one grade. It is particle ranging from "dust" size up to about a mm in diameter. Rinse for dear life! or be prepared to scrap a lot of filter floss. Plants root and anchor well. No fish problems.

In the tank it almost looks like a mix of mulm and obsidian.

It will pack to some degree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.