The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to show you a new product I'm using and I really like using. Its black charcoal bamboo and it helps with your young shrimp and keeps the PH down. Its seems lots of people in USA have high PH, and this should help with lowering PH, and provides shelter for CRS. I'm testing it and find no problems using it and lots of breeders here in Japan are now using it.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using these mineral rocks that clean the water and provide calcium for the shrimp and are said to help with the whites of the shrimp making them brighter. When they get brown you just pull them from the water and clean with a brush. So far so good with theses stones. If enough people are interested in these stones I will sell them.

·
Banned
579 Posts
I can't see that helping with anything more that providing hiding places. And we all know how i feel about that damn clay. Providing calcium... :/ Just put some limestone in your water if calcium is what you want.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hey I've seen that shrimp shelter thingy sold in Japan and used in the tanks everywhere I went! I thought it was just a shelter thing. It actually reduces PH? Do you know for how long? Next time I'll grab a few and test it out...

I also saw them sold as "CRS Shelter" and they were in tanks covered by willow moss, just like your picture. Do they sell them in packages without moss?

·
Registered
469 Posts
well, the bamboo thing is basically activated charcoal... It'll absord anything including minerals & H+ ions that'll increase your PH.. That's my guess.
That's true..I tried those stuff 2 years ago..that will increase the PH, definitely not lower the PH.
The only function of that is the space could provide shelter for CRS.

And the other thing is the water in USA is totally different than in Japan.
I have been bred the CRS for 3 years and find out actually the water here (Los Angeles, CA) is pretty good for CRS only the PH is too high. And also the water here doesn't need any calcium additives for CRS.
Here is the parameters of the water in my area:
PH:7.8
TDS:250
GH:6

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It lowers your PH. Im sure it does. kangshiang whats your PH? I can read Japanese. PH:7.8
Im sure you are not breeding shrimp in that water, you must lower it somehow, please teach oblongshrimp, he has a 7.5 ph level. Im just telling you what it says on the box. It lowers the PH, and helps with taking color out of the water, and makes water clear. Takes out any bad crap in your water, and it help with micro organisms that are good for your water.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont know if its a good yet, but hey look at my Shrimp they seem to be doing fine. Im going to do a PH test with 2 tanks and one with the bamboo, and one with out let then set over night and do a ph test. I will provide picture and results. I just need to get a new PH tester.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My only method of lowering ph is by using ADA AS and my ph out of the tap is around 7.8-8.0 and in my tank is around 7.4-7.6 right now. The tank is two gallons and I have succesfully bred Black Diamond Shrimp. I guess ph would be important for big breeders, but if you want a few to keep your shrimp from dying out and to sell a few maybe, then you could just keep your water as it is.

Please keep us updated Gabeszone :-D.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Sounds like a lot of snake oil to me. You want to reduce hardness, yet you use mineral rocks for calcium?

Charcoal does not lower pH. It actually is slightly basic.

The only way to safely lower pH is to remove the impurities that are in the water through R/O and DI. Everything else is just as Rex calls "chasing the dragon".

No offense meant, but I think a lot of CRS products are essentially worthless. People will tout the products as a godsend, but you already have excellent water quality, and a good breeding program, what exactly are they doing? They operate simply on theory, not tried and true practices.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It lowers your PH. Im sure it does. kangshiang whats your PH? I can read Japanese. PH:7.8
Im sure you are not breeding shrimp in that water, you must lower it somehow, please teach oblongshrimp, he has a 7.5 ph level. Im just telling you what it says on the box. It lowers the PH, and helps with taking color out of the water, and makes water clear. Takes out any bad crap in your water, and it help with micro organisms that are good for your water.
How to lower the PH?????????
OMG.......I am using the ADA amazonia soil as the substrate.
Please read the description how that soil work then you know how easily to lower the PH.
I have been breed CRS for 3 years and believe me even with PH 7.6 the CRS could breed without any problem.
I know you are in Japan...please contact with some famous CRS breeders there and ask them all those mineral rocks or black bamboo...are those stuff necessary to breed CRS????
I have been have contact those famous CRS breeders in Japan and Taiwan for years and that's the result we got.
Never mind...maybe those stuff are really work for you....
Cause the truth is everyone has different way to breed them....

One of my normal grade CRS tank. (PH6.5, ADA AS with undergravel system)

My only method of lowering ph is by using ADA AS and my ph out of the tap is around 7.8-8.0 and in my tank is around 7.4-7.6 right now. The tank is two gallons and I have succesfully bred Black Diamond Shrimp. I guess ph would be important for big breeders, but if you want a few to keep your shrimp from dying out and to sell a few maybe, then you could just keep your water as it is.

Please keep us updates Gabeszone :-D.
Same as what I did. (ADA AS)
Here is a picture (2.5 years ago.....with PH 7.6).......
Sorry for those ugly CRS.......:hihi:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.