The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some kind of 'black spot' algae on my anubias, ONLY the leaves closest to the light, not on glass/wood/anything else. It is NOT Black Beard Algae - it's totally flat, no texture at all, and has been in the tank for over a month like that. I know my pics make it look like it might be fuzzy, but I swear it isn't, that's just cell phone camera shake. It's impossible to remove manually - scrubbing, fingernail scraping don't move it a bit. It's like it's dyed on to the leaf.

Tank - Mr. Aqua 12 cube, setup about 5 months old, full of cherry shrimp
Light - Finnex Fugeray+R clip-on
Dosing all Seachem (Macros - phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium, iron/Micros - comprehensive), and occasional Flourish Excel all according to package dosing instructions.

So I originally had Green Spot Algae, before I was dosing any macros. I thought maybe I had a phosphate deficiency but started a whole dosing regime just to cover all my bases, starting in mid November. I thought the GSA started turning black and I figured it was dying... then the black stuff started spreading in streaks. It usually mottles the leaves and then spreads, sometimes in these bizarre streaks (pictured). I still have minor GSA but mostly just this black version. It is EXTREMELY slow growing - I don't know if it's not affecting my lower plants because of light, or because it just hasn't made its way down there yet. Meanwhile the plants are still growing happily.

Shortening my photoperiod/raising my light hasn't impacted it. My MTS snails don't touch it (not surprised) and I can't get nerites because I dosed the tank with fenbendazole a while ago and they're too sensitive to it. Tank's too small for fish clean-up crew and I'd rather figure out the root cause than put a band-aid on it anyway. What is this? Googling 'black spot algae' has brought me next to nothing and the results usually look like the little round stages of BBA. I'm extremely frustrated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The round spots are signifiers of a nutrient defficiency. The long, spear-like ones look like scars, caused by physical damage to the leaf tissue at some point in the plants life.

I have s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh... so the spears were probably caused by my fingernail scraping the leaf to try to remove black spots... Well, now I feel like a turd.

What nutrient am I deficient in, though? I thought my regime was broad-spectrum, at least for low-maintenance plants. Also, your second sentence cuts off - what were you going to say?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts