The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the introduction of a CO2 system, I noticed a small tuft of black bush algae on my plants. I plucked out the leaves, but on the other side of the tank, there are black hair algae on the amazon plant.

Should I remove the CO2, or attempt to find a fish/snail to eat them? I haven't seen any oto's around, except in Kissena Aquarium (Kissena Blvd, NY).

If any one lives in NYC, and knows which fish/fish stores that sells algae eating fishes, please let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
14 gallons, and an incandescent and fluorescent lightbulbs. CO2 is the Red Sea turbo CO2. I wanna curse all kinda language, especially knowing that I had this bloody tank for a year with no algae ever.

·
Registered
334 Posts
CO2 should generally help combat algae if it is introduced along with the proper fertilization routine so that your regular plants are using up all the nutrients and the algae has nothing to feed its growth. So the introduction of Co2 alone should not have had any effect on algae.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
co2 should generally help combat algae if it is introduced along with the proper fertilization routine so that your regular plants are using up all the nutrients and the algae has nothing to feed its growth. So the introduction of co2 alone should not have had any effect on algae.
+1. Co2...co2...co2...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can cause an algae outbreak by using CO2. When you use CO2 the plants will grow much faster, but only if they have the needed NPK and traces nutrients. If the tank is stable without CO2, and you introduce CO2, you will not have enough nutrients available for the plants new growth rate. That leads to unhealthy plants, which are an invitation to algae to start growing. Read the fertilizing forum on fertilizing schemes and follow the recommendations there to be sure you have adequate fertilizing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But what do Fishtown USA have to do with algae? But I finally figured out it was my CO2. Thanks hoppy, it was stable, but with the CO2 the lack of the traces fert, allowed for the algae to bubble

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
This is a very good example showing that fluctuating co2 levels can cause BBA.

Since you are using nothing more then an expensive DIY co2 system the levels of the co2 are fluctuating causing stress on the plants. As Hoppy pointed out when plants get use to using x nutrient then it is gone they tend to not like that at all. Then they slow down and algae starts to form.

You either need to take that Red Sea system off the tank and just go back to what you were doing or drop the money in a proper pressurized co2 system and the necessary ferts (NPK and micro) that you will need to dose with a tank that is getting injected with co2.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am having similar problems with my tank. I know your pain brother! Good post because I need this info too. BBA is the devil!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yep surely the co2 is causing it. I am using DIY CO2, and suddenly i got BBA and BHA as well. not much but they start surfacing. I intro'ed the CO2 because I wanted to try to plant some HC. But since the HC melts even with CO2, i cut the CO2 now, and both the BBA and BHA didn't return. I guess it's best to have simple, medium tech tank, for amateur like me.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Yep surely the co2 is causing it. I am using DIY CO2, and suddenly i got BBA and BHA as well. not much but they start surfacing. I intro'ed the CO2 because I wanted to try to plant some HC. But since the HC melts even with CO2, i cut the CO2 now, and both the BBA and BHA didn't return. I guess it's best to have simple, medium tech tank, for amateur like me.
No, it is best to increase the fertilizer dosing when you do anything that increases the plants growth rate, and CO2 does that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.