The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Black Algae

As an amateur fish keeper I had a problem with Black Algae and wanted to share with everyone reading how I have managed the problem. I removed all the plastic plants, bog wood, thermometer & filter. I cleaned what I could in boiling water, scrubbing all the algae off. I cleaned all the growth from the glass. I removed about half the water from the tank as I still had fish in there. I then refilled the tank and treated the water with Interpet Anti Hair Algae for 3 weeks. I then went on holiday for a fortnight leaving the aquarium lights off. On my return I checked the tank and there has been no regrowth of the algae. It has been 6 weeks now since I treated the tank. I have taken on the advice about only putting on the aquarium lights for a couple of hours in the evening and everything seems good. Should the problem reoccur I will do the same thing again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually light and an excess of nutrients are the culprit. If you overfeed that will also provide nutrients to the algae. I feed my fish every other day now. How long are your lights on each day? I had an issue with BBA, took a while to clear up. I scrubbed the tank down, boiled my logs, applied excel directly onto my plants and did 2 water changes a week. I also stopped adding my fertilizers for a week and turned my lights down to 6 hours a day. You can overdose with excel but that doesn't really treat the problem, it's more like a bandaid and some fish (especially scaleless) may die from it. I do dose excel every day but only the recommended dose, which also helps with algae but I mostly use it for my plants as I don't have Co2 (yet).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.