The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I bought a black background expecting my tank to look stunning. I cut it to shape, applied some water, stuck it but found that it doesn't look that black anymore. It looks quite washed out. Is this fixed by applying it with something other than water or is it the light that's entering through the top of the glass? It's a rimless tank.

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,368 Posts
washed out?

You mean like this where a product was made for it?

If you're not in a hurry to spend the money as amazon reviews for it are .. well, middling, check out this forum thread with people trying different things. I did petroleum jelly once. Such a mess but it works. The baby shampoo one intrigues me...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/181789-attaching-aquarium-background-oil.html

Searching for more aquarium background adhesives will bring up all sorts of interesting solutions besides the ones in that thread too. Have fun experimenting!

Otherwise, most people just paint their tank or apply adhesive translucent film and be done with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The air gap between the background and the rear of your tank is definitely the issue. Seaview is OK but still messy and will need reapplied from time to time, but nothing really compares to just painting the back of the tank.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I’ve always just painted mine as well.
I’d say mineral oil may do the same as the seaview product. I’ve never tried either, but at least you know what you’re using is safe and may already have some around.

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,368 Posts
Keep in mind paint cuts PAR down...and any background w/out an "air gap"...
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/5/equipment
sunnava! today I learned! I guess it makes sense. You can always see a 'reflection' of things on the side of the tank -- or in the front and back if you're looking from the side, but not if you put your hand on that section the glass. I've always wondered how often fish see themselves in those weird angles.

Well, I guess I'm glad I never painted the back of my glass now that I'm actually after a little more light.

@jeffkrol thanks for the link!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.