The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 12 angels in my 100 gallon tank has recently been acting lethargic. The last couple of days hes been hanging out toward the bottom and not really eating. And then last night he started to lay on his side on the bottom. There are no evident signs of trauma or disease on his body. He is breathing a little heavy. I just dont know what is wrong or what to do about it. I dont know if its worth taking him out of the tank and into a hospital tank but I wouldnt know what to treat him with. Please anyone help me. Thanks!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would put him in a hospital tank, since you don't know whats causing it. Raise the temp to about 80 with an airstone added. And clean water everyday. May help. Without knowing any symptoms I wouldn't recommend any meds myself.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You should definitely QT the fish if you have that option, for many reasons; isolate him in case he has something contagious, keep him from being picked on by other fish, be able to keep a closer eye on him, for a few.

Once you've isolated the fish, check you water parameters and also do a very close visual inspection on the fish. Can you see anything at all wrong? Bumps, swelling, fuzzy patches, missing scales, etc?

Was the fish acting different before he went off his food?

How long have you had the fish?

Have you recently added any fish to the tank?

What are all your water parameters (including temp)?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive had him since his birth. I hatched him myself. All the other fish are fine and the parameters are fine. BTW, do i need a filter in a hospital tank?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hmm, that's a strange one. I hope he gets better.

A few years ago I had a whole tank full of young angels I was growing out come down with similar symptoms. They'd gasp at the top for a couple of days, and one by one they would end up laying on the bottom and dying. It turned out they had hemorrhagic septicemia, brought in by a 'gift fish' someone bought me at Petsmart, who was in quarantine, but a net used in his quarantine tank got used accidentally in the growout tank, and it killed them all. It's nearly impossible to see it on dark colored fish like yours (and mine were also mostly dark), but they will have reddish streaks under the skin, especially around the face, where they are bleeding internally. It's treatable by antibiotics like oxytetracycline, so you might try giving yours some of that for a couple of days. A good LFS will carry it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im familar with that. Ive had a fish have that before. But I dont know how my fish could have gotten that. I havent added any new fish or done anything different to the tank. I dont get it.

I have a feeling that if I move him to a hospital tank that its not going to help. It will most likely stress him out more and kill him. Plus I dont have a cycled filter to put on the tank. uhhh i dont know..

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you use tank water in the QT tank and do small daily water changes also with tank water, you don't have to worry about cycling issues.

I'd move the fish, even if the move is risky. Otherwise, you leave all the fish in your tank at risk if what he's got is contagious...

We can't always tell even in humans what is ailing someone. Diagnosis can be difficult, sometimes even when we've got labs and microscopes and all sorts of techy tests at our disposal... which most of us don't have for our fishy friends. :icon_neut

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
QT the fish! If in 10 days to two weeks another starts showing issues then it can be latent and develop as the fish ages or have been carried in as air born bacteria.
I lost 12 DDV starting four months after purchase. Treating with fishzole I saved only two. Eating like they were always starving one would stop feeding, start hovering toward the back then sink without any outward signs within 48hrs. of the hunger strike.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok I QTed the angel. I have the filter on the small tank without carbon and its filled with tank water. I also have a heater thats keeping it raised to about 82-83 degrees. Im keeping the tank covered with a towel for less stress. Hes still laying on his side, breathing kinda heavy.
Should I get some melafix and pumafix for him?
Also is aquarium instant ocean the same as regular aquarium salt?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
salt?

Not that much benefit in the use of the salt and it can dehydrate the fish. 1/2 tbs rather than 1 tbs per if you want to try it (IMO). Melafix and Pimafix are both in my cabinet but seldom used so I can't speak to they're benefit but used as listed on the label should not hurt the situation.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm not sure raising the temperature was a good idea, especially if the fish's respiration is already heavy; it will lower the oxygen content of the water.

Adding salt to the water wouldn't dehydrate the fish, in fact, it might help lower osmotic pressure. I wouldn't use saltwater mix salt, however- I'd use table salt if you don't have access to aquarium salt, sea salt, kosher salt, pickling salt... all those are plain old NaCl.

Melafix and Pimafix are good meds... but I'm not a fan of medicating fish if you don't have at least a good guess what's wrong with them.

On the other hand, if it looks like the fish won't make it much longer unless you do SOMETHING- then I'd go ahead and try them. It's a judgment call.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
According to the breeders posting on TAFII angels don't benefit from salt baths or from adding salt in conjunction with other treatments. Carol and several others were in agreement telling me it dehydrated the fish. I argued the point that swimming in H2O how could a fish dehydrate? Anyhoo I took my lumps and followed the advice they offered. I did after all ask for help.
82-84F is not a high temp for angels as they're not a cold water species.
Treating for fungus infection I've raised the temp to over 90F adding an air stone at the same time.
Link to the sites illness strings, species specific in discussion hope you find some help.

Angelfish Diseases / Sickness / Medication & Urgent Help
http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Some people like using salt, others don't. I'm a fan of salt personally as it's very good for many minor issues, especially infections and external parasites.

Some fish don't tolerate it as well as others (scaleless fish such as loaches and many catfish such as Otos tend to be rather sensitive), but it can be very effective.

I agree that those temps aren't in the extreme range for angels, however, if the fish is already respirating very quickly, I just wouldn't have done it.

In this case, without knowing any additional information that what we've got to work with, I would just isolate the fish and try to keep it as stable as possible. Unless, like I said earlier, it's obviously on its last legs (fins?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts