The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very busy these past few weeks and other then feeding I have not spent much time at my aquarium. A few days ago I noticed some dark fuzz on some of the plants and today I noticed that the fuzz is almost 1/2" long in places. It is on plants and gravel but not on tank sides or drift wood. What is it and how can I get rid of it. Please help

Thanks
Heavy G

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It sounds like BBA. If so, Excel will kill it if dosed at 1.5X or 2X the bottle dosage. But, it will come right back unless you correct whatever conditions led to it in the first place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like BBA. If so, Excel will kill it if dosed at 1.5X or 2X the bottle dosage. But, it will come right back unless you correct whatever conditions led to it in the first place.
Hello Hoppy
I got the Excel today (had to mail order it). How many days do I double dose? I am taking several corrective actions to try and keep the black algae from coming back once I get rid of it. Thanks for the advice!
Heavy G
Gary

·
Registered
428 Posts
You could also spot treat with the Excel if it's not too widespread. You could put it in a syringe or a pipette and apply it directly to the algae. I prefer this method if the algae is not widespread. You'll use less Excel and won't have to worry about stressing your livestock with an overdose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts