The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been having huge issues with the plants in my tank since i switched to soil capped with play sand. all the broad leaved plants have been loosing leaves and dying on me. i assumed it was soil floating up and settling on the leaves. whatever it was came off easily when i was doing water changes but was back again a few hours later. it came off just by swishing my hand next to the plant.

well, last night i had a bit of an issue with my 30 gallon so i took my 7 blue tetras and 5 amano shrimp out and put them in the 20 with 3 emperor tetras and 2 albino cories. and this morning, magically, all the black stuff is off the leaves!

is it possible that the black stuff was algae? i have never heard of algae that comes off so easily. do you think the shrimp ate it? or maybe it was a few more fish swimming around that knocked it all off? the leaves are practically spotless now!

oh, i should mention that my crypts and another broad leaved plant that i bought (i don't know what it is ) were fine throughout all of this. only the plants with stems that had many leaves had the problems. i assumed it was because the crypts are low light so the soil didn't do much harm. i don't know.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i am not sure if it is smelly. i haven't smelled it. haha!

upon closer inspection i wonder if it is hair algae that has been catching the floating soil. the shrimp are very interested in it.

can hair algae kill a plant? i guess if it is catching soil particles then that will help it kill the plant all the faster.

thanks for your help, guys!

oh, i forgot to say what i have going in my tank...

it is a 20 gallon tank. i don't know what the bulb is like in the fixture, it is fluorescent bulb, long tube. it is an old bulb, i need a new one. i don't have co2. i was doing diy yeast co2 for a bit but not now. it didn't change anything with the algae. i have my light on a timer for 8 hours a day. maybe it is on too long? i haven't done fertilizer for a while because i was told i don't need to since the soil is new. (i am changing the soil over to all sand very soon with fertilizers buried in the sand.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.