The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my BKK and CWB have finally berried, and by my calculations based on the 1st day I saw the BKK berried she is at 30 days now....any idea how much longer. I have her in a breeders box with soil, moss, ial and sponge filter. The CWB is a week later.
I also noticed my WR has black in her, does that make her a tri-color?

·
Super Moderator
16,061 Posts
This had me unnerved. So I went back through my notes. The last Wine Red dropped babies at 37 days. My other female WR dropped at 28 days - and has since passed, as she was older than the hills. Could this have something to do with age?

Guess I've never really paid this much thought but now I'm intrigued enough to go back through all of my notes to see if I can spot any patterns based on point of origin and such.

yeah, I don't think i've ever even heard of tbs hatching in under 30, you must have some super strain ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CWB is NOT a golden or snow white crystal. It was found in Germany originally (not sure who had it) It is a Bee shrimp....transparent body with white bands like a tiger. I have been told by a few people that these when crossed with a BKK or WR produce the unique paler colored TBs with white stripes....you may have seen a few from Michal Nadal collection.

Check out Speedies pics on Michal's new shrimps....Red Ghost and Ghost KK look like he used this
CWB x TBs to create this new morph.

I believe mine is bred to the other CWB though, so babies should all be CWBs.

Yes I had heard that the black markings on the WR was called Dragon.
I don't think they are a cross with CBS, I believe they are just a color morph of the WRs.

Glad that others have had the females go over 30 days....makes me feel better now. Looks like the eggs are all black so I am assuming they will all be BKK of some grade and not WR (wouldn't the eggs be red?)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just keep yar fingers crossed for me matie! :wink:

Ive only tried the BB up till now, so this will be my 1st BKK hatching.

My lovely female BB dropped dead after releasing her babies. She was bred to a CRS Mosura, and I have at least 10 cool juvie Mischlings including a Mosura. These are all in the TB tank and growing up well.

Im pleased with what I got out of that cross...several snows, mosuras and couple Tiger Tooth Mischlings. One of the snows looks to be turning blueish around the cheek area, which makes me think it might be a very pale BB.

Now my other BB female is also berried, but this time it has to be one of the other TBs. I have BB, BKK, WR in the tank, I sold off my adult Mischlings to help up the anty on getting more of the TBs...instead of Mischlings.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Have you tried Mosura Gravidas? It's a breeding supplement that helps molting become easier, and it helps berried shrimp hold onto their eggs. I've tried it, and I'm very convinced that this product works. I have CRS berrying and actually holding their eggs long enough that they hatch. Also, I've had a female OEBT that never berried have some eggs after using it. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I read on the label that Gravidas contains chitin in it, and that led me to believe that it acts like Eros/BorneoWild Dance too. Furthermore, every one of my females in my tank are berried (except for one).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Have you tried Mosura Gravidas? It's a breeding supplement that helps molting become easier, and it helps berried shrimp hold onto their eggs. I've tried it, and I'm very convinced that this product works. I have CRS berrying and actually holding their eggs long enough that they hatch. Also, I've had a female OEBT that never berried have some eggs after using it. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I read on the label that Gravidas contains chitin in it, and that led me to believe that it acts like Eros/BorneoWild Dance too. Furthermore, every one of my females in my tank are berried (except for one).

Have you used Eros/Dance before? How would they compare or is it just another same effect just a different brand?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Have you used Eros/Dance before? How would they compare or is it just another same effect just a different brand?
Eros/Dance is basically ground up shrimp shells and concentrated, so when dosed in the water, it gives the males the illusion that mass females have molted and triggers them to "dance" around the water. I guess the theory is that it will also trigger the females that are close to molting to also molt as their biological clock would tell them it's mating season as to them, mass females have molted.

Gravidis is a supplement that is supposed to help mothers keep the eggs to term, but I'm not sure of the ingredients or method behind that product, other than for myself, I seem to get dead shrimp when I dose it so I quit using it, eros, or pretty much anything else other than some Ebi-ken mineral stones in the water to provide all the nutrients they need.

I started at low tech, almost nothing dosing and shrimp were doing great, got on the bandwagon of trying all these new fancy things, and along with other things, my population took a huge hit and I'm back to basics. Everyone has their own method, just with any of these supplements, if you don't know how they work, dosing too many at once can be more dangerous to your tanks than letting them be and do their thing.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yep, what works for one person might not work for another. For example, some people have great luck with FSS, but some don't. Some people keep CRS in tap water, and some need to use RO water.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts