The Planted Tank Forum banner

bitFUUL's Terrarium of Tyranny

1891 14
I often visit the Rip/Ter/Viv forums, but this is my first posting.
During PetCo's F-up 50% off sale, I got a Zoo-Med Terrarium tank.

My signature contains a bunch of my submersed and emersed projects. However, I'm not getting any inspiration for my new glass setup.
Got any suggestions? I've seen people using soil, mulch, aquasoil, and all sorts of other things, but this thing is pretty shallow (for water fillup). Any tips anyone?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice setup Hydro!
Thanks for the info ophio.

What are you planning on having live in the viv? That really makes most of your decisions for you.
To be honest, I'd like only flora, no fauna. Just something that is fairly easy to take care of, I've got enough tanks that require time.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're going with just flora........go carnivorous.......sundews and pitchers. There's a carnivorous tank in these threads somewhere, i just forget where.
Nice, I just did a search, some great looking plants!
Will have to do some research, but carnivorous plants might be the way to go. :smile:

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
You can keep carnivorous plants in a terrarium, but a lot of the best ones don't really like to be in an enclosure and would rather be outdoors.

Another group of plants that is incredibly diverse and so interesting are various miniature orchids, especially pleurothallid orchids from the Neotropics. Many of these kinds of orchids can grow and bloom really well in a humid viv setup.

·
Registered
384 Posts
this has to be the finest carnivorous plant tank i have seen to date. i'm sure you've seen it, but i figured i would post it anyway.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-aquatic-plants-carnivorous-plant-layout.html
That set-up is awesome! I got linked to it when I first asked about carnivorous plants, also got linked to a site you can order them from.

Here's the thread;
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163908

You can keep carnivorous plants in a terrarium, but a lot of the best ones don't really like to be in an enclosure and would rather be outdoors.

Another group of plants that is incredibly diverse and so interesting are various miniature orchids, especially pleurothallid orchids from the Neotropics. Many of these kinds of orchids can grow and bloom really well in a humid viv setup.
Indeed, I've found most prefer the open top rather than high humidity. miniature orchids would be a great choice as well. There is a great thread on dendrobium that is set-up like a swamp with a bunch of orchids - unfortunately the OP is in Mexico, so he has access to plants we don't :(.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.