The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting in some Blue Dream/Dreamy Blue shrimp tomorrow. My tank is a 7.5 gallon planted, which I am using the Neo DIY co2 kit with. I've noticed mold appearing on the diffuser. Is this mold dangerous to shrimp? Should I just remove the co2 from the tank all together? It isn't really doing anything for my plants so I am not apposed to getting rid of it, but just wanted to know I guess if the mold is toxic to shrimp.


1029349
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told a bubble counter would stop this from happening so I went with the fluval plastic hangon one in the pic below. Same results, moldy white buildup on the diffuser.

1029353
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Odd, it usually works. Back in the day I used to use 2 liter bottles for my sugar yeast and a 20oz bottle for foam catching. I don't know why it would be reacting like that. Are you measuring out for yourself or do you have pre measured mixes?

I doubt if the mold is toxic. I am not 100% on that though. If it's just sugar yeast growths you should be fine. If it's a type of actual mold, which I don't know why it would be, anything is possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been able to find anything online on whether or not this fungus looking stuff is toxic to fish/shrimp or not. All the sources say that a bubble counter should clear up the problem and yet somehow it persists with me. Just gonna have to take the whole thing out for the sake of the shrimp unless anyone has any last minute advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
I honestly think it's fine. I didn't have any issues when my bubble counters had the occasional foam build up. I made quite a few mistakes when I first started doing diy co2 including gassing my livestock so I've seen similar foamy crap before. I've never kept shrimp before but my fiddlers didn't have any issues with it, neither did my fish. I just picked the stuff off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
Agreed that it's most likely fine. If it bothers you aesthetically, you can always siphon the mold off. Shrimp do love aufwuchs, and IMO, aquatic mold counts under aufwuchs.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top