The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some research into bacterial additives for tank cycling, and I have a few questions I am hoping someone could help me with. First, are products like those made by Microbe Lift and others in any way beneficial to a planted tank? (Microbe Lift also makes planted tank substrate: is this worth looking into?) Should I use products like this as a cycle starter? Is it OK (or even useful) to add these products when I do my water changes? If anyone has any experience with these products I would welcome their advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
I have used seachem stability in the past. I really have no proof that it did anything special but it made me feel good when I put it in the tank, like I was doing the right thing.

I suspect you will need to contact the manufacturers of these products for actual concrete evedince that they are directly improving the bio filtration of the tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've tried both Stability and Bio-Spiria and still ended up with dead fish.

Found best way was water treated with Prime, water changes out the backside, a batch of zebra danios and patience...as aggravating as it sounds...and it is.

But, after those three or four weeks of aggravation, everything I've added since has lived happily and show it by mating in the plants, leaving me with way too many fry!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Unless you're doing a fishless cycle.
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html
I agree that start up a new tank with plants from existing tanks is the best option. Keep in mind you have to feed the bacteria until your fish can.

Historically the issue with dry or other forms of bacteria mixes, is the date on the package and preservation techniques. Results seem to be anecdotal or so scientifically detailed as to not matter to the average or above average tank keeper.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I used tetra safe start and it worked perfectly.
I used the largest bottle they had on a 20 gallon and stocked 8 tiger barbs the next day and had no issues whatsoever.
I wouldn't count on any dry bacteria being alive.
TSS bacteria is what used to be Bio-Spiria, but they bought those bacteria and developed one of their own strains as well and now its Tetra Safe start.
It's packaged in liquid ammonium or some inert ammonia, as long as its not very old it should work!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
stability is OKAY imo. used it before. Nutrafin Cycle however, IF, its new is very effective. i've used it on a few tanks, and experiments and it is quite effective.
there is one out there i beleive its called THC.. its not marijuana but it supposedly cycles a tank in 24 hours. i have no proof but my lfs has seen it used but he said its not worth the price.

you wont need to keep using the stuff after the tank is cycled. not after water changes..

PLANTS work great though!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really do not have a bunch of faith in dry bacteria mixes; don't nitrifying bacteria need oxygen? (Not to mention water...) I have used a Seachem bacterial product once, but I did not really feel comfortable adding fish for a few weeks afterward- old habits die hard- so I am not sure if it actually did any good or not. I have been reading about Microbe Lift products, and their website is really informative, but I am not sure that they are an unbiased source of info on their own products. I have heard both good and bad things about bacterial additives, but like someone posted in this thread earlier most of this is anecdotal. (see quote below) There seems to be almost no support of the claims of these products that is scientific and most of the info I have found seems to be self-promotion from companies that manufacture this stuff. I am also put off a bit by the fact that none of the products available have ingredients listed on them; I have no idea if there is anything in them that could potentially be dangerous to my inverts or my plants.

Unless you're doing a fishless cycle.
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html
I agree that start up a new tank with plants from existing tanks is the best option. Keep in mind you have to feed the bacteria until your fish can.

Historically the issue with dry or other forms of bacteria mixes, is the date on the package and preservation techniques. Results seem to be anecdotal or so scientifically detailed as to not matter to the average or above average tank keeper.
I checked out the link from [email protected], and it has some pretty good info that is very clearly explained. I have used filter media from existing tanks to sort of speed the cycle along a bit, but for some reason I still wait several weeks before adding fishes. I guess I would rather err on the side of caution.

The bottom line is that if these products actually do what they advertise, it would be a huge advantage in setting up a new tank and reducing the time before I can add fishes. And if periodically adding these products can enhance the health of my tank even a little bit then in my opinion they would be well worth the expense. I like the concept but I am concerned that these are 'gimmick' products that I do not want to risk harming my livestock with if they do not perform as advertised. Several people have responded here with their experiences, and this is what I am really looking for: advice from my peers. If you have had a good experience with one of these products, please post it. If you have had a bad experience, I want to hear about those too. I would rather spend time doing the research and getting good advice than risk the chance of killing off my fishes (and plants and inverts).

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fritz 700 Turbo

Only one that ever seem to help a tank. Re-setup my 100 gallon after having it empty for a year and did fishless cycle, added this and tank cycled in about 3 days. Stuff is not cheap, but seemed to work.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I used to use Bio Spira and that worked quite well, but they don't make it anymore. I believe it's now sold under another name and no longer requires refridgeration but I haven't tried the new one.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
What was the name of the product?
Any reason why plants scare you but bacteria in a bottle is the cat's meow?:tongue:

I have never recommended fishless cycling or these products, bully for folks that do.........but I seem to have been very successful without ever bothering with them, and I pre date every all commercial cycling products.

Plants remove NH4 DIRECTLY, they also remove NO3 directly and come loaded with bacteria on their surfaces.....no spores and cyst.....but live actively growing.

Simple basic maintenance like a water change in a new planted tank in the beginning is normal protocol.

No one should ever have any issues of any sort nor even need to cycle their tanks if they do routine water changes and add plenty of plants.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.