The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since I built the new light hood the algae which came along for the ride with the native plants has taken off like gang busters. I am going to add a population of Ceriodaphnia to the tank, cut the filter off and leave the air stones going. Be interesting to see how long it takes for the daphnia to eat all of the algae. I don't have any fish in the tank yet.

So it begins today. I'll pick up the Ceriodaphnia today and place in the tank this afternoon. Minimum light, filter off, air still going. I let the tank go full tilt into algae growth, I like extremes. I'll take pics before and after.

Being that I've worked in biological and chemical testing laboratories for a long time this should be interesting to see how long these cerios take to clean up this mess.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do like free floating algae, but will eat most algae if that is the only thing available.

Hoping this doesn't take long, wife has asked several times, (Why is your Tank GREEEEN)

They populate geometrically, 1 cerio has say 5 offspring, 3 days later those 5 offspring have the potential to have 5 offspring themselves and so on. So looking at 3-6 days for clean up.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They do like free floating algae, but will eat most algae if that is the only thing available.

Hoping this doesn't take long, wife has asked several times, (Why is your Tank GREEEEN)
My answer would be it is preparing for St. Paddys day.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My answer would be it is preparing for St. Paddys day.
Its already there, LOL

Plan B, remove what plants are still alive and bleach the thing out.

The price to pay for using pond plants

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Probably more the price you pay for blasting a newly started tank with way too much light. Remember that algae have an advantage over vascular plants, in that they can use extra light and nutrients immediately. The plants have to adjust to their new temperatures and water chemistry.

Takes a while, practice restraint and patience.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably more the price you pay for blasting a newly started tank with way too much light. Remember that algae have an advantage over vascular plants, in that they can use extra light and nutrients immediately. The plants have to adjust to their new temperatures and water chemistry.

Takes a while, practice restraint and patience.
Learning curve is steep and sharp, I like steep and sharp though. Time to bring home my testing equipment from the lab.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You know, I really hate hearing people say they're going to tear the tank down and bleach the hell out of it.

It's a scorched earth practice that destroys whatever little biological advantage you had to begin with. You just square-oned your tank and the algae will once again get a foothold first.

You can always out compete the algae, it takes lots of plants and a little well applied biological help, like your Daphnia and (or) reducing the light, adding lots of fast growing floaters, ( lower your water some and add a bunch of Water Hyacinth, they'll definitely outcompete your algae.) loose stem plants like Hornwort, lots of Anacharis.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I might be leary of leaving filter off for more than a day without removing the media therein.
Any organic matter trapped in/on the media will begin to foul, and upon turning the filter(s) back on,the organic matter will be immediately flushed back into the tank which could result in ammonia spike that would be harmful for any fauna and fuel another algae bloom.
My two cent's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts