The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bioload, betta and shrimps

7527 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  AquaAurora
My 5 gallon just finished cycling (with aqua soil) and I soon plan to add 2 amanos and maybe some RCS. Once those guys settle in, I also plan to add a betta. Will the shrimp produce enough of a bioload to keep enough beneficial bacteria going for when the betta comes or should I be worried about a mini cycle happening?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
My 5 gallon just finished cycling (with aqua soil) and I soon plan to add 2 amanos and maybe some RCS. Once those guys settle in, I also plan to add a betta. Will the shrimp produce enough of a bioload to keep enough beneficial bacteria going for when the betta comes or should I be worried about a mini cycle happening?
Would feed shrimp's sparingly in Five gal maybe once every other day, or every two day's without overfeeding for the day(s) of no food.
Would feed the betta same schedule while keeping in mind that tiny shrimp might present a snack for the fish regardless of how much commercial food is being offered.(shrimp would be natural food)
Not much dilution of pollution due to relatively small volume of water so organic input will have greater effect .:wink2:
Should be no issues with mini cycle lest too much food or dead decaying plant matter contribute to ammonia level's .
The shrimp won't make as much of a bioload as the betta will.
Also be forewarned: bettas are carnivores and are likely to hunt your shrimp. Even amano are not safe-I have one boy who killed ghost shrimp and amano that were as big as him (including hi tail length!). I've only ah 1 betta I could successfully keep dwarf shrimp with (but he would eat shrimplets), he was the most placid betta I've ever met-never flared once in his whole life. Keeping a [censor] ton of cover (thick moss/plant mass) helps but a determined betta will get the shrimp. Be careful about suing shrimp hides as bettas can get their heads stuck in these and drown.
Get Seachem Prime if you don't have it-it dechlornates and binds ammonia and nitrite to make it safe for shrimp/fish but allows plants/beneficial bacteria to consume it. You can dose at 2 drops per a gallon a day when you put in the betta.. may take 1-1.5 months for mini cycle to complete on tank. Also its better to do more frequent smaller water changes than fewer and larger water changes with shrimp. Try to stick to 10-20% water change at a time.
See less See more
The shrimp won't make as much of a bioload as the betta will.
Also be forewarned: bettas are carnivores and are likely to hunt your shrimp. Even amano are not safe-I have one boy who killed ghost shrimp and amano that were as big as him (including hi tail length!). I've only ah 1 betta I could successfully keep dwarf shrimp with (but he would eat shrimplets), he was the most placid betta I've ever met-never flared once in his whole life. Keeping a [censor] ton of cover (thick moss/plant mass) helps but a determined betta will get the shrimp. Be careful about suing shrimp hides as bettas can get their heads stuck in these and drown.
Get Seachem Prime if you don't have it-it dechlornates and binds ammonia and nitrite to make it safe for shrimp/fish but allows plants/beneficial bacteria to consume it. You can dose at 2 drops per a gallon a day when you put in the betta.. may take 1-1.5 months for mini cycle to complete on tank. Also its better to do more frequent smaller water changes than fewer and larger water changes with shrimp. Try to stick to 10-20% water change at a time.
Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys. Would it also help to use something like Tetra SafeStart when the betta goes in?

I was hoping that by letting the shrimps first get comfy with the tank and introducing the betta later, he'll be less likely to attack them. But I'm ok if he eats some of them, you can call it revenge >:). In the tank I had some years ago, I had a community with a couple ghost shrimp and the most friendly betta. Everything was fine and happy for a while, but this one evil ghost shrimp got huge and killed my betta. I thought he was getting fin rot or something, but I watched the tank one night and saw the shrimp munching on the betta while he was asleep!
Lol, my beta nearly killed a peppered cory. Bit him on the eye, and pestered the joy out of him.
Luckily he has a tank full of fat lady catfish, while the betta is living alone and neglected.
Heck, I'd give it away, it's just that unfriendly. It has even tried to bite me.
Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys. Would it also help to use something like Tetra SafeStart when the betta goes in?

I was hoping that by letting the shrimps first get comfy with the tank and introducing the betta later, he'll be less likely to attack them. But I'm ok if he eats some of them, you can call it revenge >:). In the tank I had some years ago, I had a community with a couple ghost shrimp and the most friendly betta. Everything was fine and happy for a while, but this one evil ghost shrimp got huge and killed my betta. I thought he was getting fin rot or something, but I watched the tank one night and saw the shrimp munching on the betta while he was asleep!
As far as I know Prime is the only product that binds ammonia and nitrite safely.
I wouldn't touch tetra safe tart-tried it once and it failed miserably-crashed my partial cycle. I did better just going old school on the cycle with non bottle bacteria at all. I tried to get a refund ('cause hey the bottle has a "guarantee") well to get a refund you need to mail tetra your: receipt, an unspecified amount of tank water, and the empty safestart bottle. They won't refund/cover shipping costs so I'd have spent more to send these to them then just eat the cost of the original bottle.

Lol, my beta nearly killed a peppered cory. Bit him on the eye, and pestered the joy out of him.
Luckily he has a tank full of fat lady catfish, while the betta is living alone and neglected.
Heck, I'd give it away, it's just that unfriendly. It has even tried to bite me.
Some of them are just like that. A few of the 21 bettas I have are biters, some are flare happy, some are very peaceful and enjoy petting. It all depends on the individual.
As far as I know Prime is the only product that binds ammonia and nitrite safely.
I wouldn't touch tetra safe tart-tried it once and it failed miserably-crashed my partial cycle. I did better just going old school on the cycle with non bottle bacteria at all. I tried to get a refund ('cause hey the bottle has a "guarantee") well to get a refund you need to mail tetra your: receipt, an unspecified amount of tank water, and the empty safestart bottle. They won't refund/cover shipping costs so I'd have spent more to send these to them then just eat the cost of the original bottle.

Some of them are just like that. A few of the 21 bettas I have are biters, some are flare happy, some are very peaceful and enjoy petting. It all depends on the individual.
:surprise: 21 bettas?? I'm jealous!

Pets, sometimes only slightly more troublesome than small kids.
See less See more
:surprise: 21 bettas?? I'm jealous!
Yeh bettas are really addictive-great for simple pico/nano planted tanks. I have 9 girls going through ct for a 20g long sorority, everyone else has their own tank varying from 2g-8g.

Pets, sometimes only slightly more troublesome than small kids.
That made me laugh!
Agree they can be troublesome (especially hyper puppies x.x) but even with so many tanks and fish it still costs less than actually raising a kid so *thumbs up* ^^
I find the algae more troublesome than my fish pets.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.