The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I know this topic has been discussed many times, why is biofilm in a tank?
If there is a link between phosphate and biofilm?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Various protein skimmer assemblies (salt water people use these), put the output of the filter at the surface temporarily, paper towels :)

We all deal with it from time to time. It usually happens the day or two before a water change and I put the filter output at water level when the lights go out (not to vent CO2) and it reincorporates it into the water - the next day a w/c does away with it :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, excess food. I have the biofilm disappearing by itself if I don't feed the fish for a couple of days. I don't skim the water surface at all. I don't see a point in doing that.

Feed less and often than once in bulk. If you can't, invest in an automatic feeder.

Cheers!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, excess food. I have the biofilm disappearing by itself if I don't feed the fish for a couple of days. I don't skim the water surface at all. I don't see a point in doing that.

Feed less and often than once in bulk. If you can't, invest in an automatic feeder.

Cheers!
Daniel has it right. usually too much food causes it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
422 Posts
once about 2 years ago on a asian aquarium site i had see a diy made from a cheapo micro internal filter upsidedown (inlet up outlet down :p )put inside a grided cut inlet pipe... and now for a while i see amano's vuppathing ...deja vu? Lol

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have the biofilm disappearing by itself if I don't feed the fish for a couple of days... Feed less and often than once in bulk.
Cheers!
sadly that does not always work. i have a tank that i feed once or twice a week and i still have have biofilm, the amount of food that i feed is minimal because the fish is rarely out for food. of my 5 tanks 3 have biofilm, really its only of 4 tanks because one has a surface skimmer.

the best "cure" to biofilm is surface agitation, or a surface skimmer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
One more solution to consider, I use a IKEA watering can to water my house plants...

When I get biofilm, I use it to skim the surface bio film along with the poop filled, EI fertilized water and use it to water my house plants. It takes about three fills to water all my house plants and 90% of the bio film is gone.
The side benefit of recycling the nutrient rich water is my Indian Rope plant and a variety of other plants have flowered more than ever before.

It's a little less expensive than a skimmer or wave making apparatus. I sink enough $$$ into this hobby, a little side benefit can be nice :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
The film in my tank actually has nothing to do with the fish food. It seems anytime I add new live plants to the tank the film gets bad for several weeks. It was almost completely gone until I added some new swords...within 2 days it was back twice as bad.

To answer the question as to why to remove it (besides looking bad), it blocks a lot of the overhead lighting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
I decreased the amount and frequency of food you give them, biofilm has not disappeared. After a 25% water change, biofilm reappears.
What is the solution ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My invertebrates eat not the biofilm. Gas exchange is very difficult, what is the solution?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.