The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm totally n00b at aquariums and I have inherited an oceanic biocube 8 gal, unused.

I am interested in raising red cherry shrimp/starting a planted tank and am wondering if anyone else is using a biocube in their setup. Haven't seen satisfactory answers so far.

From what I've read, I am concerned about the babies being sucked into the intakes. There are 2 intakes that are obviously too big and I'm wondering what solutions/ideas everyone might have. I've read that people tried to put mesh on the intakes, but I'm not sure how they attached it. The cartridge filter doesn't fully block water flow, as I've tested.

Pictures attached.:help:

I welcome any and all advice. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I'll look into both. The bottom intake is a little tricky, it doesn't directly push against the filter, there's a small chamber at the bottom. I might try the mesh at the bottom and sponge in the cartridge section. I plan on using aquasoil as my substrate, hopefully that won't clog too bad.

Here's a picture of the little compartment on the user manual. Sorry about the quality and crude artwork. I hope it makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
if that bottom chamber on your 8g is similar to the 14g you can pop the false floor out. I used a wire hangar and bent the hook end so that I could push it thought the slits on the floor of the top chamber. Once I got it hooked i pulled up about 2-3 times and the floor popped right off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts