The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many people 'saying' that a bio-wheel filter works against any CO2 injection, but only found one really old post (that took a lot of looking) that actually had someones experience with a bio-wheel and then no bio-wheel. So, I figured I'd do it myself and then post my results so others that aren't sure can feel more confident in this assertion.

Yesterday, I purchased a Red Sea CO2 indicator from a LFS and set it up with my own solution of 5 degrees KH harness, instead of using their own solution with aquarium water.

With a Marineland Emperor 400 slowed down as much as possible, and the water turbulence reduced, it was still indicating that the CO2 was just the same as the air.

The only thing I changed was the filter. I installed a Rena Filstar XP3 to replace it. This morning, I found that I now have about 30 - 38 PPM of CO2. So, the assertion is CONFIRMED. A bio-wheel filter a (at least the emperor 400) definitely does work against CO2 injection. If you want plants, get rid of it.

To boot, I have a 55G show tank, and I am only using the Hagen CO2 system (http://www.hagen.com/img/aquatic/products/a7690.jpg) with my own brew. It's doing about 3 - 4 bubbles per minute and yet I have a nice CO2 concentration. So, I'm pretty excited. I have been under the impression that this Hagen tank is too small. Maybe it's just that it needs more maintenance (like a weekly change instead of monthly). Anyway, I hope to finally see some good growth. I'm posting a pic of my tank. The plants have grown very slowly, and the Amazon isn't doing well at all except that it gave me a few baby stalks. Now I can use this as a 'before' picture and will hopefully have a good 'after' picture later on.

My CO2 Indicator:

My Hagen bubbler:

My tank:

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at AW, but PK

Did you buy that CO2 indicator at Aquatic Warehouse? How much was it? Also, you should check out and join: SCAPE

Great people there.

And thanks for posting your experience! Although Rexgrigg shows this: Bit's Of Wisdom It's near the bottom.
Aquatic Wherehouse didn't have it when I called them. They had the refill, but that's it. I bought it at Pet Kingdom. They said it was the only one they had and that it had been there over a year, on top of some shelf somewhere out of the way. They don't expect to be replacing them. As cheap as you can get them, I would think that PK and AW should stock them and promote them. This is the coolest way I've seen so far for keeping track of your CO2 without spending a bundle or wasting a bunch of time DIY.

I read Rex's site, and like I said in my original post, it was an assertion that didn't offer evidence. Obviously he is correct, but I found it frustrating that I couldn't really find anybody who wrote of their experience confirming this. That's why I wanted to post.

I may check out the club. Thanks for the tip.

kazooless

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assertions

It was not an assertion. It was experience speaking.
Okay, now first of all, this reply is completely in the spirit of humor and fun. So, being offended is not allowed...

Definition of assertion:

assertion - a declaration that is made emphatically (as if no supporting evidence were necessary) from: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/assertion

With that in mind, this quote:

Bio-Wheel based filters are NOT bad for plants. They can make it hard to get decent levels of CO2 in the water column but they DO NOT harm plants.

is an assertion.

So are these:
It was not an assertion. It was experience speaking.
But, here are some assertions from me:

I read Rex's site, and like I said in my original post, it was an assertion that didn't offer evidence.
And the title of my original post starting this thread:

Bio-Wheel bad for CO2: Confirmed!
Assertions aren't bad (oops another assertion), but sometimes people need evidence to back up our assertions (there's another one, he he).

Here's one last assertion: "Rex's site is a must read." Yup, I read the whole thing before posting anything here. I liked it a lot and think it to be valuable. The bits of wisdom wouldn't be full of bits anymore if each statement was backed up with evidence, so I never expected it to be, and don't think the page is missing anything.

Cheers Rex. Thanks for all your input here at this forum. You're great.

kazooless

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Bio-wheels don't harm plants. Some people think that they do. And they can make it hard to get decent CO2 levels. Especially if your CO2 method is barely adequate to start with.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Bio-wheels don't harm plants. Some people think that they do. And they can make it hard to get decent CO2 levels. Especially if your CO2 method is barely aqueducts to start with.

..."aqueducts"?:icon_wink

Tommy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts