The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking into buying some bio-media for my upcoming setup and am gravitating towards Sera Siporax or Ocean Free 3DM. The problem with these 2 are that they will also house anaerobic bacteria that eats the NO3 which will take away nitrates from the plants.

Are these okay to use? or can you recommend some plant friendly bio-medias?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Biomedia works great! BUT so does virtually anything else. I personally like filter sponge and use it as both biological and mechanical filtering. I use ceramic rings in filters only as a means of seeding new tanks, as such some of my filters have some and others have none at all.

Anyway my point is don't get bogged down in marketing nonsense, filtering a tank is so easy that anything you use will work great.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Biomedia providing anaerobic denitrification is bogus afaik. I wouldnt worry about it.
I've always wondered about this. I only use "biomedia" (ceramic rings) in my turtle tub and goldfish tank- I used it in the start ups in ponds outdoors and never changed out the media when I downsized and they came indoors. I don't see any real difference between those 2 and my 30 gallon musk turtle tank as far as nitrate reduction and that one is running sponges and carbon. I know it's not a fair comparison, but it seems like no matter what I put in my filters the reaction to the bioload is pretty much predictable across the board. I only use sponges, polyfloss and polishing pads in my planted tanks so I have no comparison there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.