The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
i think its pretty cool how we used the same tank, substrate, stones and yet ours are completely different! yours is gonna look amazing once everything fills in. definitally a lot more heavily planted then mine. looks like your plants just turned the corner and are showing some good growth now. (those riccia rocks!) keep up the good work!

i'll post an update of my tank later today in the 12 long thread.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lucky for my my LFS had them in stock for 4.95 /LB. They are not like the ADA stones however. I've seen a youtube video that shows they can raise PH. There are some folks on here that sell the stones as well.

I love the riccia rocks. I think I may do a whole carpet one of these days. =)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi binbin9,

If you picked up those stones at a Asian store in Kent there is a very good chance they are a calcium based stone. I find that they do effect the hardness and to some extent the PH in my tanks.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi binbin9,

I didn't say it was a 'fish store' in Kent. I will have to stop by Midway Tropical and see what those stones look like.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great rocks, nice layout. Looks like its all set to fill in!

If only there was a massive quarry somewhere full of seiyru stones for our disposal . . . open to only aquascapers!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So I've added a few plants to the tank.

Elatine Trianda - which has all completely melted
Replace with Staurogyne repens -which is holding up well
Rotala Indica (not true)
Cardamyne
Hydrocotyle sp Japan
Pennywort

As well as some fauna
6 CRS
7 Amanos
5 Gertrudaes - 6 originally (1 died ramming himself into the wall)

2 Sae's
3 Nerites
2 ottos
3 cherries
2 threadfins

The pennywort arrived in the mail and it was apparently pulled from someone's pond. It was full of dirt an gigantic leaves. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, So I've left it floating in one of my other tanks with high light for about a week and it began to sprout new shoots.

The gigantic leaf doesnt look right in a smaller tank.

Here's what the new shoot looks like. They grow alot more compact with high light.

I planted the hydrocotyle sp japan near the riccia to fill in the gaps. I love the look of these leaves.

I clipped the Rotala Indica near the tops and planted it behind a couple of the rocks to provide some background. It doesnt look like much here. 2/21/13

But in a short week or so it's thrown out some great colors. 2/25/13

3/1/13

3/5/13

The glosso has filled in a bunch 2/8/13

3/5/13

Here's a full tank shot from last week.

oh and just for fun.

mr BKK baby sitting

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My tank also had a thread algae outbreak, probably from the cardamyne I picked up from a LFS.

It covered my glosso and some of my rocks. It was killing me with frustration. and I battled it constantly for 2 weeks. I almost ripped everything out but I did manage to eradicate it!!

I know there's been a ton of threads already on this but I this is what I did to get rid of it.

Amano Shrimps - I noticed the younger shrimps are more voracious than the older ones, so don't fall into the idea that bigger is better with these guys,

SAE - bought two but these guys may have been the phony kind or were already turned to fish food and I found them pretty useless.

Shortened photoperiod to 6.5 hrs.

Spot treated the tank with hydrogen peroxide. 3% for a week. Please refer to the algae section on this forum for dosage amts.

Increased my Excel and CO2, well within the lime yellow drop checker range.

Lowered my fertilizer dosage by 3x during this time frame. I also cut out nitrogen, iron and phosphates during this time. I use the seachem products

I water changed about 30% on Wed and Sunday to control the nutrients.

Tooth brushed the heck out of the tank and let the little amanos do the polishing. Now the tank is algae free and the plants look better than ever. (minus the riccia who did not like the hydrogen peroxide and the extra excel)

I did lose 1 cherry in the process but everyone else is alive and thriving. 1 cherry is a small price to pay for an algae free tank.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Are you using the Odyssea CFL light and bent the metal rod so it can sit up higher?

I was planing to do that.
Yeah its the odyssea t5HO. Works great for my shallow tank. and you can't beat the price. I bought the finnex ray2 the other week for another tank and when I compared the 2, I still like the color on this better.

I've bent the legs several times while testing out a good height so they look a bit gnarly.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts