The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has given thought to riding a bike to work, instead of driving? If the gas prices keep spiraling out of control, it would seem like the smart thing to do. Around here in Sacramento, prices are around $3.30-$3.40 and my wife and I were in Southern CA over the weekend and I saw prices as high as $3.60-$3.70 for regular. Riding a bike like I did in college, seems like a more attractive thing to do not only for the environment and our bank account, but as a refusal to support the greedy big oil companies. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt my wife would be able to. She commutes 15-20 miles, but I only commute 2-3 miles non-highway. I realize some folks won't be able to ride, but some might.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I ride when its nice out. It's cheap. It makes you feel good and its healthy for you. Most people who live in an area close enough to ride to work totally should. Just discipline yourself to get up a little earlier and leave for work earlier. When you get to work you feel 10 times better.

Get out and enjoy the outdoors and ride to work!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I broke my tailbone last June while riding. I was attacked by a dog and fell on the sidewalk. I haven't been able to ride since.

I'm going to start riding to and from work soon. My round trip is 20 miles. Normally by mid June, I'd be up to 200 miles a week, but my tailbone still hurts so I won't do that well this year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bike to work, and love it. If i am feeling overly ambitious I will run to work, but I only have a short commute of 1.5 miles.

I used to have to drive 20 miles to work, but now I never do and it is amazing the money I saved by eliminating that commute.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I bike to work daily and have for the last 10 years.
I use to live in Fair Oaks and rode to the downtown area, about 20miles each way.

Rather than getting stuck in 45-50 min of traffic, fighting for parking, running out and moving my truck every 2 hours, stress etc, I'd have a nice 1 hour, or a few min over ride 2x every day. So I lost about 30min for 2 hours of biking that is much better for my health, peace of mind, environment, pocket book etc.

I looked forward to my commute along the American River whereas no one looked forward to their traffic ridden drive home.

Rather than getting cut off by turkey's in cars, I got cut off by wild turkeys along the river.

The quality of life is much better in locations where it is bike friendly also.
I drive 1-2x a week to the Bay and then to travel for fun. That's pretty much it.

Driving to work, the cost etc, that lowers your effective pay and time.
You work 10 hours and get paid for 8.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Makes me wish I still lived and worked in Davis. Sacramento isn't as bike friendly, but I'll find a way.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I recently Freecycled my old bike that I've had since 5th grade, and I'm already thinking about upgrading. My ride wouldn't be very scenic, and it'd be a good 8 miles or so... but I'm sure it'd be good for me. I spent $40 filling up my little car, and it isn't even a gas guzzler - I get 32 miles/gallon!

I'm imagining just how much I'd save... and I sit at work for 8 hours a day, the extra exercise would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the nugget of inspiration ringram!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing is, I spend ~$45 every two weeks driving to work, so I would need to do it long enough and/or get a bike cheap enough to justify the expense. My wife said that a co-worker is selling two used beach cruiser-type bikes. I may hit them up on that and see what they're asking. I'm so out of the loop I'm not sure what a reasonable price is. Back in college, I was always cheap and bought cheap-o bikes for $150 or less(new) and they would usually fall apart after a year or so. The most common problem was the axle breaking.

Glad I inspired you Jen! Now, I just need to start doing this myself.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The thing is, I spend ~$45 every two weeks driving to work, so I would need to do it long enough and/or get a bike cheap enough to justify the expense.
I spent 6 years riding into school. Not having a car saved me:

Cost of Car $190/ month
Insurance ~$50/ month
Gas ~$60/month
Upkeep ~$50/ month

So more like $350/month. But that cost allows me to own a house and make the "big bucks" in the city. I will soon be able to take the bus on a discount pass and cut ~30 minutes off my commute.

Ringram:

Buy a nice bike that is light and reliable ($300-$800). The heavy once a year cruzer type are sure to make you want to leave it at home.

For example I have a copy of the Big Buzz from REI. It is a flat bar road bike with disk brakes but it is simply fun to ride. I prefer it to my mountain bike (too slow,under geared for road) and my road bike (faster, but not good in traffic). My school had secure bike parking though...

http://www.rei.com/product/744801

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geez Andrew, that's too far. Have you thought about moving closer? Maybe it's not affordable though. I used to commute 32 miles one way and it took me ~45 min-1 hr each way. That's more driving than I'm willing to do. Life is too short to spend it in traffic.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I ride every day everywhere. I ve been riding for 20 years. Also make my living off of riding my bike. I get to work as a CTS mechanic in the off season and personal mechanic for various pro athletes. Its fun and free if you dont brake anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ringram:

Buy a nice bike that is light and reliable ($300-$800). The heavy once a year cruzer type are sure to make you want to leave it at home.

For example I have a copy of the Big Buzz from REI. It is a flat bar road bike with disk brakes but it is simply fun to ride. I prefer it to my mountain bike (too slow,under geared for road) and my road bike (faster, but not good in traffic). My school had secure bike parking though...
I agree with this sentiment. You do not want to have a heavy bike that is under geared and a pain to ride. It is far better to invest in a lighter more efficient bike that will make your commute more enjoyable. Otherwise no matter how cheap your bike was to purchase ,it will be doing you no good if it is too much of a pain to ride, and is constantly sitting in your garage.

I have mountain bike that I ride to work, but my wife has a trek 7.3 FX which I absolutely love. It is a nice cross between a road bike and mountain and it is amazing how much easier her bike makes the commute.

It may cost your more in short term, but buying a quality bike will be worth it in the long run as you will be much more likely to use it.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
Geez Andrew, that's too far. Have you thought about moving closer? Maybe it's not affordable though. I used to commute 32 miles one way and it took me ~45 min-1 hr each way. That's more driving than I'm willing to do. Life is too short to spend it in traffic.
i work where i work so that i can live where i live (got a good job so that i can afford to live in pac heights)... i will never live outside of San Francisco or Marin County for any reason....im willing to spend 3 hours a day in the car to make the amount of $ i make now. it is not fun to commute, and it goes against all my environmental instincts to live so far from work... but.... money talks.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i work where i work so that i can live where i live (got a good job so that i can afford to live in pac heights)... i will never live outside of San Francisco or Marin County for any reason....im willing to spend 3 hours a day in the car to make the amount of $ i make now. it is not fun to commute, and it goes against all my environmental instincts to live so far from work... but.... money talks.
How do you find the time to work on your tanks Andrew? ;)
Ever bike ride on Mt Tamalpais or up in China camp, overlooking the SF Bay? Nice stuff.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wish I could ride my bike to work, but I would have to buy a bike and I'm not sure how much that would cost.

Also, I think I would enjoy the ride to work, more than the ride home.

By the end of a work day, I am so exhausted and hungry (and grumpy) to have a positive attitude needed to pedal home...

I wish our culture was more inviting (supportive) of bikes.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I wish I could ride my bike to work, but I would have to buy a bike and I'm not sure how much that would cost.

Also, I think I would enjoy the ride to work, more than the ride home.

By the end of a work day, I am so exhausted and hungry (and grumpy) to have a positive attitude needed to pedal home...

I wish our culture was more inviting (supportive) of bikes.
Riding a bike will decrease that grumpy tired feeling within a few minutes of riding. Bikes can be more expensive than planted tanks. You can go to a local bike shop and get a bike for $300-$500 that would be reliable to ride everyday anywhere. Most shops will give free service with the purchase of the bike so no need to worry about mechanics. Your life will thank you for it
I promise

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.