The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want some huge sword plants in my tank. It's not planted and I have no specialized lighting. I have tried to keep swords before in other tanks and they do well for a while then turn brown and waste away. The tank has a bed of black sand, is it possible to raise nice swords without to much effort?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've had Amazon swords in my 58 gallon from the very beginning that started looking sickly after a few months. They are very heavy root feeders and seem to respond well to fertilizer tablets placed in the substrate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
mine are over 2 feet tall and are out of control.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about lighting? It's a 120g tank (24" deep) with basically stock single strip lights. I am going to add some more light but nothing fancy, probably more single strips or possibly a homemade fixture. I've seen Homedepot stuff used to make cheap fixtures with lots of wattage, anyone have pics of such a setup? Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a 180 and it's my first planted tank. I had to cut one of my swords to the base. The swords are taking over the tank. I think the swords are the easiest plants to grow well. Some light some fert tabs and viola you've got growth. I have 400w of CF above the 180. The swords are growing out of the tank. They're over 24" long. As I said it's my first planted tank and only my second tank ever (the other one was a salt tank I kept [successfully] twenty years ago).

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A 120 gallon (4' tank) with stock lighting has at most 40 watts of light. That 0.33 wpg.

Take a few minutes and read my guide. That's into the no light category.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts