The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a huge pond snail outbreak in my 2.5 gal. I brought in a few when I had a dwarf puffer in there and they are taking over now that he's gone. Most are very small right now, so I'd like to get rid of them while they're a managable size. It looks like I have a few young MTS as well.

WHat will make short work fo these guys w/o overrunning my tank?

my lfs doesn't have many (if any) fresh water shirmp, btw.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up a banded loach today at the advice of my LFS, so hopefully this will curb the problem.

keep the suggestions comming, I'm still open to ideas.

thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to Oklahoma and pick em up! Afer you get mine, I can direct you to the LFS I got them from and they'll be happy to give you theirs as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he's got a pretty big task ahead of him. If he runs out I may just keep them commig to him. Lord knows the local fish store wants to get rid of them. I'm hoping that I'll come home to a fat loach and a tank with much less of a snail issue in about 12hrs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Loach size isn't a problem When he gets to bit I can move him to my roommate's tank or return him to the fish store. he's about 2.5" long right now, and fits perfectly. If they're slow growers I'll enjoy him for a good bit, and I'm ready to move him if not. Basically, this loach won't be one of tose fish that end up crammed into a tank that is much too small when they get way too big. I do understand the concern though.

chaznsc - that would have worked when they were new to the tank and few in numbers. Now they've bread and there are TONS of little ones in there.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You have three other options. Do you own a pressurized CO2 unit? Take out the other critters for 3 hours while you raise CO2 concentration to around 50+ ppm. This will kill them.

You can use a little CuSO4 (copper sulfate i.e. Algaefix) to kill them off as long as you don't have any other inverts in there.

You can start doing water changes with distilled water until your water is extremely soft. Snails will die, their shells can't take it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah,
don't put a loach in a 2.5g tank.. that's just torture for the poor thing.

a little aquarium salt will do.. I wiped out a whole population of snails... Then change the water when the snails are gone to get rid of the salt... You don't need much ... Maybe just 1/2 a teaspoon for a 2.5 gallon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll try the zuchini trick, thanks!
I'm going to hold off on chemicals and salt for a little while. If I can't fix the problem w/o them then I'll go that route.

the loach is fine right now. He's still very small and has plenty of places to swim/hide. I won't let him live in a cramped tank when he gets too big. It'll be time for a new home at athat point.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
click the link in my sig and then follow it back to the 'fish tanks' section. The link in the sig is just a shot of the nano tank. There are some more detailed pics in the folder. If you look close you can see the loach's head poking out from behind the right side of the rock.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It is easier to have the vegetable or algae wafer in a small cup-- that sinks..., not a floating plastic one that floats despite your efforts to keep it down. Maybe even a mug. Wait one night, then take the mug out. Make sure there are no fish in there. And... dump the contents of the cup...
and repeat if you have to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.