The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have an issue that I am not sure what to do about.
I basically want to change the substrate in my tank, use miracle gro organic and top that with sand and replant everything.

The issue is I only have about 10 gallons available to me for a 30 gallon tank and will need to add 20 of tap water. Is there anything i particular I should use to dechlorinate the water or something else I should use to keep the plants from going into shock since I am basically starting all over.

Neglected to mention the tank itself is still new, only been up a few weeks, no fish, only plants and filtration at work.

Thanks

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Depending on what you keep, or even want to keep, the tap may be OK. Yes you need to use a dechlorinator like prime, but it won't affect your cycle negatively.

(Do make sure you cycle)

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Use your normal tap treatment just as you would changing water.
Keep everything wet in pans or buckets holding your current tank water while making the changes.

HAVE FUN! (bigger is better LOL)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depending on what you keep, or even want to keep, the tap may be OK. Yes you need to use a dechlorinator like prime, but it won't affect your cycle negatively.

(Do make sure you cycle)

Is the cycle for planted any different from just a normal tank?
I have had fresh and salt water for over 15 years but this is my first attempt at a planted tank (since fish over here in the UK are so stupid expensive and I always wanted one)
I was cycling every 2 weeks for my marine tank and about the same for my cichlid tank (which did have some live plants)

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Is the cycle for planted any different from just a normal tank?
I have had fresh and salt water for over 15 years but this is my first attempt at a planted tank (since fish over here in the UK are so stupid expensive and I always wanted one)
I was cycling every 2 weeks for my marine tank and about the same for my cichlid tank (which did have some live plants)
Every two weeks? That meant your tank never officially cycled. You need to make sure you can dose a certain bit of ammonia, and have it disappear within a day.

For planted tanks, the only major difference is you'll probably never see nitrate, even though it is there.

You'll definitely need an API master test kit.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
A planted tank with no livestock does not need to by cycled.

Take everything out, keeping the plants wet.

Do the swap.

Arrange hills and valleys, rocks and driftwood.
Plant, misting often.

Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and fill slowly, allowing the water to seep over the edges of the bag. This will minimize disturbance to the substrate.

You can use the water the plants were in, or whatever you managed to save from the old tank, but I would not be fanatical about it.

Refill with 100% new tap water is just fine. Add dechlor only if you will be starting the fishless cycle right away. Plants do not need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.