The Planted Tank Forum banner

Big Impulse Buy... oops

2126 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Fishly
I've been wanting to get some more fish for a long time now. I decided to get some black neons last week, but since they were in very bad condition, I chose to wait. Yesterday, I wanted to get them, but they were still looking pretty bad. I decided to go with my next best option- platies. One or two would be cool, right? Right. So, while waiting to be picked up, I decided to check out the Bettas- after all, one of mine died, so I had room.

Oh, boy. I ended up with 1 female Betta, 3 male Bettas, and 7 female (!) platies. I spent five hours last night preparing their new tank while acclimating them and I still have work to do.

When I was buying them, I thought I had room, and I do. It's just that, right now, I already have a bunch of work to do on my tanks (not to mention everything else in my life) and adding another one just makes it that much harder. I feel like an idiot.

I just wanted to tell someone about this. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I really don't want to take the fish back to the store, but I'm wondering if I should, since I got them for breeding (I've been bitten hard by the breeding bug) and if I can't handle the extra work of the parents, fry are just going to make things worse. I know this was a mistake, but I really just want to push through it instead of trying to undo it.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
No problemo! (sorta) :D

OK you definitely need to return the platies ASAP!! You may have bought pregnant platies, and if you're really unlucky, half of them could soon be shooting out fry!!! Also, if you really like the way the male bettas look (I do), you should give each one a smaller showcase space (maybe tank dividers) and try the female on each one (poor old girl :) ) if you want to breed them. Of course, if you want to have more platies, keep one or two that look very healthy and pregnant (should be a little larger in the stomach area and will be constantly looking for shelter near the tank bottom). MAJOR impulse buy, but you can recover! :) Cardinal tetras are cool too by the way.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.