The Planted Tank Forum banner

Big Impulse Buy... oops

2128 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Fishly
I've been wanting to get some more fish for a long time now. I decided to get some black neons last week, but since they were in very bad condition, I chose to wait. Yesterday, I wanted to get them, but they were still looking pretty bad. I decided to go with my next best option- platies. One or two would be cool, right? Right. So, while waiting to be picked up, I decided to check out the Bettas- after all, one of mine died, so I had room.

Oh, boy. I ended up with 1 female Betta, 3 male Bettas, and 7 female (!) platies. I spent five hours last night preparing their new tank while acclimating them and I still have work to do.

When I was buying them, I thought I had room, and I do. It's just that, right now, I already have a bunch of work to do on my tanks (not to mention everything else in my life) and adding another one just makes it that much harder. I feel like an idiot.

I just wanted to tell someone about this. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I really don't want to take the fish back to the store, but I'm wondering if I should, since I got them for breeding (I've been bitten hard by the breeding bug) and if I can't handle the extra work of the parents, fry are just going to make things worse. I know this was a mistake, but I really just want to push through it instead of trying to undo it.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Your post leaves me clueless about what you want to breed and how you want to go about it.

If you want to breed platies, why'd you only get females?

If you want to breed bettas, that's a very involved undertaking... you can't just randomly stick 2 fish in a tank together and hope it works out- you need to condition them first, set up a proper spawning tank, and maintain separate tanks for your breeder adults before and after spawning. If you have a successful spawn (which can easily run 200-300 fry) you'll need fry rearing tanks and also need a way to separate out all the juvenile males once they grow out and start fighting among themselves.

Check out www.ultimatebettas.com and www.ibcbettas.org if you're seriously interested in breeding bettas.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.