The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this pic are three crypts. The big on in the back grew over a year+ from a tiny sprig. The lights were lower at the time, now I'm back to 100 PAR. That big one is throwing off plantlets all the time.

The other two crypts, I picked up three months ago. One was labeled "Green Wendtii" and the other "Undulata".

I thought the big one was an Undulata, but now most of the leaves have transitioned and they are darker.

Can anyone ID the three crypts, and tell me if the two in the front will stay compact and bushy?
Plant Plant community Vertebrate Nature Botany

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey sorry- I'm too new with crypts to trust myself with the ID, but I will say that even if they are species known for growing taller or staying flatter you might be able to influence their growth form with light. More light typically flattens them out while low light makes them taller. This is kind of a long video, but I think this is where I think I saw some cool examples of this with crypts, but also other plants:

Basically, it seems to be with some crypt species that you can keep them flatter and more compact under high light.

·
Registered
22 tanks, from 2 gallon to 100 gallon.
15 Posts
I would agree with Plinkploop. As much as anyone can guess on a Crypt, those would be my guesses, too. They can be so variable, though. I have ’Red’ in multiple tanks with variable lights and depths, and they grow a little different in each. Heck, they grow a little different side by side if one is getting even a hint of shade. Gotta love those Crypts, though! One of my favorite groups.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will remove all the old transition, algae leaves and post new pics.

What I really want to know is if there are compact versions of crypts? The dark one in the back (in fact there are three large ones in the tank) grew to that size when I had the tank on a low CO2, low light regime when I didn't have much time for it.

Now that I've upped the light, they still throw out new tall leaves.

The ones in front are not much bigger than when I got them. I would be happy if they stay compact.

I'm just glad that all three seem to be different. For a while I thought I had rebought the same variety.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I will remove all the old transition, algae leaves and post new pics.

What I really want to know is if there are compact versions of crypts? The dark one in the back (in fact there are three large ones in the tank) grew to that size when I had the tank on a low CO2, low light regime when I didn't have much time for it.

Now that I've upped the light, they still throw out new tall leaves.

The ones in front are not much bigger than when I got them. I would be happy if they stay compact.

I'm just glad that all three seem to be different. For a while I thought I had rebought the same variety.

Crypts are one of, if not the most, phenotypically plastic plants in the hobby. I've grown the exact same plants in different tanks under different conditions and they had different growth forms and colors. It's not uncommon for them to grow taller under low light, low nutrient, conditions then start growing compact or flat with an increase in light and nutrients; especially light.

They can be very frustrating because of this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.