The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started this tank last March (I have a journal on it on my web site--link is in my sig). Initial stocking consisted of wendtii 'bronze' (left back), lutea (left mid), willisii (left front), parva (center foreground), nurii, pygmaea and undulata (right center), petchii (right front), balansae and spiralis (right back). Here it is at its inception...

Here it is today. Over the past year I added some moehlmannii (center), pontederiifolia (right side), wendtii 'Green Gecko' (right foreground), and a cordata 'Rosanervig'.

Left side closer view...

And the right side...

Over the year the nurii got lost amongst the moehlmannii and petchii. I haven't seen the undulata and pygmaea in a long time, too. :( Of course, what I think is petchii could actually be the pygmaea...you can never be sure with Crypts. :icon_lol:

Here's the 'Rosanervig', which after four months still shows no sign of any veining let alone pink ones (although another one I have in a 20g tank with AquaSoil is developing muted veining).

The tank is lit with a 4x54w T-5 Tek light (2 bulbs for 10hr and 4 bulbs for 4 hours mid-day), has pressurized CO2 and is filtered by a pair of Via Aqua 750 cannister filters (with sponge prefilters over the intake strainers).

Substrate is Turface Pro League. Hardscape consists of granite rocks and some unnamed SE Asian hardwood branches I picked up at Aqua Forest in San Francisco.

I dose the tank with a solution I have made up for the autodosing pumps on my 125g tank. I throw in 100ml of the macro solution 2x a week which I think comes out to somewhere around 50ppm of NO3 and 5ppm of PO4 total. I also dose about 75ml oif Flourish 2x a week.

Maintenance consists of bi-weekly, 50% water and sponge pre-filter changes and plucking out any dying leaves. I go in every few months and thin out the Crypts and give them away at our club plant swaps.

The fauna consists of: 100+ Espei Rasboras; 2 Pearl Gouramis (transferred from another tank); 6 Serpae Tetras (orphans from a torn down tank); 2 Badis ruber and 1 Cherry Barb (adopted from a friend); an unknown number of Pygmy and Habrosus Corys, and Otos; and countless shrimp (Cherry Red, wild Neocaridina denticulata sinensis, Amano, and possible a few low-grade CRS)

This tank has turned into another example of how spending a lot of time planning your hardscape is futile, as only the underside of the plants ever see it. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's an incredible tank! I love the close up of the left side. IMO any aquarium with lots of healthy crypts looks great, but it must take a ton of patience. Your aquarium has me really tempted to try this on a smaller scale. Anyways, great work!

and countless shrimp (Cherry Red, wild Neocaridina denticulata sinensis, Amano, and possible a few low-grade CRS)
You are probably the only person to has CRS and isn't even sure!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
nice tank, i love the green gecko crypts.
How are the pygmy cories? i am gathering all kinds of opinions on them.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice tank, i love the green gecko crypts.
How are the pygmy cories? i am gathering all kinds of opinions on them.
Thanks. The 'Green Geckos' were in emersed form when I bought them so it's taking time for the conversion to submersed growth. Slowly, the new growth is coming out with the distinctive red patch at the leaf's base.

As for the Pygmy Corys...in this big a tank they out of sight much more than they aren't. But they're pretty much conventrated in the bottom third of the tank, swimming in and out from between the Crypts. But I do have one in a 10g tank (started off with three, but only one remains) that likes to spend a lot of its time lounging on the top of an Anubias leaf. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Very Sweet tank, Bill! No surprise there, however.:proud: Sure makes me want to get a 120 gallon...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Sweet looking tank Bill. Those crypts sure look nice all grown in like that.
Just curious - I'm pretty sure that espei rasboras are the same as harlequin rasboras, but what about LFS's that use different common names? I just put 18 into my 90g and the LFS was calling them "lamb chops" or something like that. lol. Look the same to me. Good work! :proud:

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hey Bill~
Your tank is gorgeous. One question, what is the KH/GH of the water where you are?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious - I'm pretty sure that espei rasboras are the same as harlequin rasboras, but what about LFS's that use different common names? I just put 18 into my 90g and the LFS was calling them "lamb chops" or something like that. lol. Look the same to me. Good work! :proud:

-Ryan
Thanks, Ryan. The Espei (Trigonostigma espei) and Harlequin Rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha) are different species. The Espei and Harlequin do share similar coloration, but the Espei don't get as tall in the mid-section...in other words, the Espeis keeps the body configuration of juvenile Harlequins.

The local wholesalers usually have them listed as "Harlequins, narrow wedge" on the order sheet. The problem there is that they'll ship both the espeis and hengelis under that common name. But when you get them you'll be able to tell the difference as the espeis have a copper colored body with the black wedge, while the hengelis have a clear body (like a Glowlight Tetra) with a bright orange stripe that traces the upper edge of the wedge.

fresh_newby said:
One question, what is the KH/GH of the water where you are?
My water has a KH of 12-16 and a GH of 18-22. It may be the reason why the 'rosanervig' doesn't develop any veining.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
They have to read the journal thread on my web site...no subscription needed. haha
Just read the journal. Wow, very nice journal and I really like your tidy plumbing. I didn't knowone could click your photos to get the link.

But that cut on your arm looked BAD! ouch.:icon_sad: Over all, what do you think of acrylic? I always thought it would be too easy to scratch.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Bill,

Where did you get your espeis? I've been looking for a bit and haven't found any yet!

Just looked through your 40 gal. page. I'm also planning a 40 gal breeder tank. Would you recommend ~15-20 Espeis or ~15-20 of the neons or cardinals you have in your tank?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for clearing that up Bill. Based on what you're saying, I think I have the Trigonostigma hengali here:

-Ryan
Yours look more like a regular Harlequin.

This is a T. hengeli...

And this is a T. espei...

Notice how the black wedge on yours almost entirely fills in the rear area of the fish, while the wedge on the espei narrow to a black stripe?

And you can see why one common name for the T. hengeli is the Glowlight Rasbora as its coloration is similar to the Glowlight Tetra.

epicfish said:
Where did you get your espeis? I've been looking for a bit and haven't found any yet!

Just looked through your 40 gal. page. I'm also planning a 40 gal breeder tank. Would you recommend ~15-20 Espeis or ~15-20 of the neons or cardinals you have in your tank?
Ibn (Eric) got the espeis for me from an LFS friend of his. I would definitely choose them over the Cardinals. The ones (Cardinals) I have in the 40 spend all their time hiding in the plants...barely coming out even during feeding. :icon_mad:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just read the journal. Wow, very nice journal and I really like your tidy plumbing. I didn't knowone could click your photos to get the link.

But that cut on your arm looked BAD! ouch.:icon_sad: Over all, what do you think of acrylic? I always thought it would be too easy to scratch.
Bob, when I first got the tank in I was obsessed with buffing out all the hairline scratches left from the manufacturing process. But I finally came to my senses and realized that once it was filled in that they'd disappear.

Of course it has had the occasional encounter with one of my son's toys flying into it. But the damage has been minor and easily buffer out.

The thing I like best about it is how it takes on the appearance of a giant Lucite paperweight when I look at it from across the room. Nothing beats not having any silicone seams obstructing the corners.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I presently have a corner-free acrylic myself...but am changing over to an ADA......
Ed/Ian I am convinced that is why crypts do so well there! My plants grow like mad, but my crypts are just so so. They never look like yours, Ed. My kH is around 0-1. I dose Mg, but they never seem to explode with growth like that. Perhaps the rock hard water makes them happy?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I've just been lucky not to have invested any money in blackwater Crypts. :)

I gave some of the moehlmannii to a friend in San Francisco and he told me that he didn't expect them to do as well for him there with his soft water.

Ian will be taking some of the moehlmannii with him after the game on Sunday (along with whatever else I can cleanly pull out for him). Perhaps AS with be the difference maker in softwater environments? His cordata 'Rosanervig' sure are doing well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts