The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
You need to find the cause of it first. Easy to get rid of but will come right back if the same conditions exist. Is not normally found in tanks which have good plant growth
in them. Though frequent in start up tanks, it usually leaves on it's own if the tank is made healthy. So...
What size tank/exactly what light and for how long/what if any ferts, CO2 etc.
The more specific you are about these, the easier it is to see anything that may be the cause of the tank not being healthy.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I got rid of my BGA in one of my tanks by covering it/w a black plastic bag for 5 days.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it is just on your wood and you don't want to do anything to your tank to treat it, remove the wood and scrub the algae off. You don't have to treat the wood as long as you get it removed.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yea I took the wood out a week ago, I just wanted to know how I can get the algae off. I tried scrubbing it off before, but unfortunately to no avail because thats shy the algae came back. I just want to know if there was a way to get rid of it. So would dipping it in a bleach solution work?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Oh sorry if I missed that in the beginning. Pull it out and pour peroxide on it. You can do bleach also, but needs a lot of rinsing.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it were me I would just rinse it off really good after the treatment and then put it back in my tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like the others say,use bleach for few min. then rinse well and BGA probably come back,after that happen you can use Erythromycin.:icon_smil

1 - 20 of 28 Posts