The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what this algae is. It started on the glass like the first photo except usually it is more of a lighter green. It is easy to take of the glass. I think it might have spread to the substrate and plants by it floating off and landing there when I ave taken it off the glass. So is it BGA or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read a nice post about some algae and it was saying how BGA is nitrate and flow related.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/68793-bba-bga-causes-treatments.html
Thank you for that. What is strange and annoying is that my nitrate test always comes up red. I think it could be dodgy. I may need to take a sample down to the LFS to get it tested there. Also the first place it showed up is also right under the spray bar so I don't think it would be a flow issue.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thank you for that. What is strange and annoying is that my nitrate test always comes up red. I think it could be dodgy. I may need to take a sample down to the LFS to get it tested there. Also the first place it showed up is also right under the spray bar so I don't think it would be a flow issue.
I used to have the same issue with the nitrate test. You may need to knock your nitrate solution bottle #2 on a table a few times to make it read right. Check out details here: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/t...ion-api-freshwater-master-test-kit-users.html

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just my opinion but,I always start to see it when I get dead leaves.It's my belief that it's caused by organics in the water from decaying plant matter.When I clean out the tank and do a large water change,seems to beat it back.I've used erythro,but I think blue green stain remover is far more economical to use,along with manual removal.

that's just what's been most effective for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have the same issue with the nitrate test. You may need to knock your nitrate solution bottle #2 on a table a few times to make it read right. Check out details here: Important Information For API Freshwater Master Test Kit Users! - 6439

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yep I do that. If I don't then it reads 0

Bump:
Just my opinion but,I always start to see it when I get dead leaves.It's my belief that it's caused by organics in the water from decaying plant matter.When I clean out the tank and do a large water change,seems to beat it back.I've used erythro,but I think blue green stain remover is far more economical to use,along with manual removal.

that's just what's been most effective for me.
That would make sense as it started close to where plant leaves get stuck after falling off and floating away. The hydrogen peroxide is doing a good job at breaking it down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.