The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been neglecting my aquarium for the last few month and end-up with a algae out brake with bga.

Water Plant Pet supply Lighting Fish supply

I know the outbreak is due to lack of maintenance and this is why. We have been busy with this mini human. :) And his big brother been asking a lot of attention too witch was to expect ;).

Nose Face Brown Cheek Skin

Now that thing are back to "normal" at home i was wondering if just by doing more water change and cutting on ferts. and light for a while will it slowly go away? I want to avoid using chemical or the use h2o2 if possible. one other thing that dint help is i ran out of co2 and when i got to fill the bottle it was due for inspection and it took 2 week to get my bottle back. Now while i was out of co2 my crypt where doing great if not better then with co2 and now that its back they are melting any idea why???

Plant Water Fish supply Pet supply Organism

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Her are tank spect
Light 8hrs a day with diy led
Presure co2
Ph 6.8
Kh 2.9
Gh 4.2
Nitrite nitrate amonia 0
Not dosing ferts right now but when i do its pps methode

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Don't know why you wouldn't consider a little H202 dosing at close rage with a syringe. It's safe and very effective, and should rid you of it, or most of it, overnite.

Then, suggest that along with paying more attention to your overall upkeep, maintenance, & wcs, you place that water circulation pump that's located in the top left hand corner (at least it looks like a circulation pump) near to the bottom of the tank, to provide good water flow over the substrate floor area of your tank - which should preclude any BGA from re-emerging.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Tired right now, so I'm not thinking all too well, but it's either dying Black beard algae, or dying Cyanobacteria, when killed with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) (or was it when killed with Excel/Glute?), releases/creates some kind of toxin/poison and so treatment should be done in small patches at a time to avoid producing too many toxins at once. And I think administering H2O2 is best done with filtration/circulation turned off to allow the H2O2 to remain in the area, doing it's job for some time.

Sorry for any confusion...

By the way, cool tank! is the bottom pane really a wave shape, or is that just the outer trim of the stand?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Yes you're right, dosing H202 needs to be done with filtration & circulation turned off, before and for at least a 1/2 hour after dosing, to prevent the water circulation from removing, or lifting off, the H202 from the BGA surface. It needs to stay on the BGA to work.

But as far as dosing H202 on to BGA, I have never heard of that producing any kind of toxins when destroying the BGA - I've used hydrogen peroxide several times, and witnessed it being used in others' tanks, and have never known it to cause any harm to the livestock or anything else (i.e. plants or beneficial bacteria).
(Of course, you want to avoid dosing it directly into the face of a nearby fish.)

If you have a lot of BGA, it makes sense to limit the amount of H202 as an overall percentage of it in the water column, so it should be done in phases or stages over several days if that's the case.

But in ultimbow's case, he doesn't really have a lot of it, so it shouldn't need any more than approx. a dozen syringe-fuls of H202 to do the job - so it should be quite safe to do all at once on the same day.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Congrats with the little one. I wish I could rewind my 3 year old to that age.
At the time I thought she took a lot of time... nobody told me women get more complicated every day for the rest of their lives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.