The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an established 10 gallon tank I've just recently added plants to. The substrate is sand/gravel and since adding light for the plants the BGA algae, which I had before but was mostly under control, is gleefully spreading. It covers about 80% of the substrate within a few days of removing it.

• The tank is lightly planted with a small amount of bacopa, pearlweed, javafern, and dwarf hygro.
  • Lighting is a 23w 6500k cfl 6 hours per day on a timer. It was on for 8 but the BGA was even worse.
  • I dose api leafzone 1x per week and flourish nitrogen as needed to keep nitrates 10-20 ppm; ammonia and nitrites are 0. No CO2.
  • Residents are 2 very fat WC minnows and some ghost shrimp.
  • I'm running an aquaclear 20 and a powerhead so lack of current isn't a problem.
  • The sand isn't very deep 1/2 inch.
  • The plants are doing great growing roots like crazy, I would like to have more plants but can't afford it right now.

I feel like I'm doing everything right but is there anything else that can be done to get rid of the BGA? I'm afraid a blackout would kill my plants and shrimp and I don't want to use antibiotics. Will it get better with time as the plants grow?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just a thought, might not be enough plants in there to give the algae competition for nutrients..

If cost is an issue, a really cheap 4 dollar Pothos from any Lowes or Home depot would work. Clean the soil from the roots and hang it out the back or side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

I forgot to mention, I do have two dracaena hanging on the back. I might be able to get some elodea cuttings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts