The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been assuming that the BGA in my tank was due to the fact that I have high light and no CO2 at the moment (have all the equipment except the CO2 canister... been procrastinating on that). However, in reading some other threads it seems this may not be my issue?

I'm wondering if I should dose with erythromycin to try and get rid of it. I've just sort of been dealing with it until I set up the CO2, but now I'm worried that won't solve my problem.

Tank specs:
26g flatback hex
2215 Eheim canister
T5 HO Fixture that accommodates two 39w bulbs (6700K) fixture is raised about a foot above the tank.
Flourite black sand substrate
Stock:
Pair of Gardneri killifish
12 harlequin rasbora
2 checker barb
2 SAE

At this point I'm only keeping the lights on for about 4 hours per day, as the tank gets a ton of natural light.

I do have some Flourite Excel that I could dose until I set up the CO2 system, but I'm hesitant because my fish always seem to suffer when I do that. I've done DIY before but always get lazy.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
BGA requires light to survive. Everything I have read recommends a blackout or meds to kill it off. I avoid meds when possible so I would do a blackout.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just got rid of BGA from one of my tanks using hydrogen peroxide. I dosed 3ml per gallon every day for about 6 days.

It didn't seem to bother my betta too much.

I've read that BGA is caused by low nitrates and poor water flow. Since I've addressed those two issues it hasn't reappeared yet.

You might want to try a lower dose of the peroxide at first just to see how your fish react.

I would not recommend it if there are any shrimp or snails in the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.