The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 tanks. Totaling nearly 200 gallons of water.

Each one has BGA in it.

I don't know what to do, short of selling all tanks and filters and getting new fish and plants. It's everywhere. I will do a water change on my 55 gallon and get all of the bacteria that I can see off my substrate then a week later it'll be back. If I don't get rid of it then and skip a water change it'll carpet the whole tank. The tank gets the most light; it's in front of a South-East facing window.

My smallest tank that I'm growing Java Moss in has it. I don't know what to do about that. It's in with the moss. This tank also gets a lot of light, I leave the light on all day.

It grows slowly in my 36 gallon, which is on a light timer from about 8 am to 4pm.

Another tank that it's growing slowly in is my 10 gallon quarantine. This tank doesn't get lighted at all.

My 20 gallon has very small amounts. It's another tank that isn't lighted. No live plants, either.

My 40 gallon gets light all day. It's my turtle's tank and he needs his basking light. No substrate or live plants.

My 5.5 gallon is out of direct sunlight, but close to the 55 gallon. It has live plants but I hardly ever remember to turn the light on. It's not growing too fast in that tank.

My other 10 gallon is growing it as well. The light is also on all day.

All tanks except for the 20 gallon and 40 gallon have live plants.

I'm thinking that maybe I should try to reduce light in the tanks.

But, even in the tanks with no extra light I can't get rid of it.

So:
Could I try moving all plants to one tank, say a 10 gallon, treat them with erythromycin and doing a black out on all of the tanks?

If so:
1. What should I use for the blackout?
2. How long should I do it to make sure it's gone?
3. Do I feed the tank during this?

Does this sound like it could work? I can't afford enough erythromycin for all of the tanks....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To me it seems very likely that BGA will come back if you do the treatment the way you described it . BGA/bacteria is not only on the plants but everywhere (filter, substrate, driftwood, rocks). In my experience, the blackout treatment never, not once, worked for BGA. For fun, I had a sample in a vial for more than 2 months in the dark and it was still kicking.

Therefore, the only sure thing is to treat everything with erythromycin with all the conc. and steps described at the krib. Now that can indeed be expensive. Maybe you could get by, if you produce a very high conc. solution of erythromycin and "soak/ wash" everything for a few minutes/hours. You could then reuse this solution on several aquariums. ( of course without animals). This may not be 100% working but it may be more worth trying than blackouts.

6g sounds rarther little for 90G or 900G

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Also contributing is high phosphates and low o2 levels.
Does your water have high phosphates from the tap? Put your livestock on a fast for a few days coupled with some water changes will help reduce phosphate levels.
I dont know what your flow levels and surface agitation look like but increasing it may help resolve the situation.
Also temporarily decreasing photoperiod may help.
Treating everything will get rid of it temporarily but it will come back if the underlying cause is still present. Solve the issue and the bga will go away on its own without chemicals.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
BGA - Cyanobacteria - How to get rid of it ?

For starters, you could check out this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/1046577-beating-cyanobacteria.html

H202 - Plain old household hydrogen peroxide will do the job - just needs to be dosed directly onto the affected areas, at close range, using a plastic syringe, or test kit pipette, while filters are turned off.
Leave filters off for at least a half hour.
Allow to sit overnite - check it out the following day, and if not fully gone, repeat the procedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.