The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some Moss growning in my Aquarium. It was not Java Moss, but other other varity that I got a wile back.

I spent some time away from my Aquarium and when I return I was shocked to see the Moss had completely taken over my Aquarium.

Every inch of volume under water and I think even some above the water had been taken over by this moss.

There was a little tiny space on the end that all the fish were ( under the auto feeder) but the rest of the Aquarium was taken over completely.

The filter had stopped because moss had clogged the filter intake.

I have spent 2 full days doing water changes and pulling out any moss that I found find. I never see something take over like this this aggressive.

I'm not sure if there is some kind of fish that can eat moss to control this?

I am trying to pull every little bit of this moss out of my aquarium so this never happens again .

Just wanted to share my experience and warn others of these fast growing moss can be a problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Haha, I would love to see a picture of that 😁

In any case, moss like any plant needs to be trimmed regularly. There are a bunch of aquarium plants that grow like weeds and should be kept under control like Valisneria, Chain Sword, Dwarf Sag. to name a few.

There is another thing why I hate the moss for. When you trim it the bits won't float like any other plant leaves so it's hard to clean out. Also, when you trim a plant leave, the leave will die off even if you don't remove it from tank. But the moss doesn't die, it gets carried away by the current and mixed with other plants where it attaches and continues to grow.

Yeah, moss is a fun! 😆

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately I found this out too with Christmas moss. Looked so pretty, then got out of hand. I removed everything....so I thought, but with all the nooks and crannies in my tank, it still lives on because a tiny little piece can break off, float and land and grow. The only way is manual removal I'm afraid. It even grows on my substrate. I don't use moss any more because of it (except in the one tank).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of moss is this? Did you find it outside or buy it at a fish store?
I think I got it from a member on this forum a long time ago under a " Radom act of kindness" RAOK

I previously had java moss and other plants that never really grew for me.

At the time, I was trying to take some stainless steel mesh and build like green wall for a cool background .

I did not envision it would turn into some kind of scifi monster plant taking over.

Haha, I would love to see a picture of that 😁

In any case, moss like any plant needs to be trimmed regularly. There are a bunch of aquarium plants that grow like weeds and should be kept under control like Valisneria, Chain Sword, Dwarf Sag. to name a few.

There is another thing why I hate the moss for. When you trim it the bits won't float like any other plant leaves so it's hard to clean out. Also, when you trim a plant leave, the leave will die off even if you don't remove it from tank. But the moss doesn't die, it gets carried away by the current and mixed with other plants where it attaches and continues to grow.

Yeah, moss is a fun! 😆
I am trying to limit my plants to only slow growing ones because of my horrible moss experience. I also had a bad experience with duck weed take over the surface of the tank.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,758 Posts
How long were you away from your tank? Because no moss grows so fast that it can take over an entire tank in just a month or so. Takes quite a while even under ideal conditions.

I grow moss like crazy and have a few tanks that I let go insane with growth. Would take nearly a year for a 20gal long with ideal flow, temperature, nutrients and lighting - along with shrimp doing some cleaning - to be loosely full. About the same amount of time for a 10gal to be medium thick but only if you started out with a ton.

Would love to see photos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts