The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow people, I was wondering if you guys think that Beta breeding is easy. My friend and I were thinking of doing it, but are not sure if it is easy. Some people say it is easy and others say it is super duper hard. What do you guys say?:flick:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
to breed I've heard can be somewhat easy, to raise successfully and have the space and time etc and be able to keep them alive, not as much.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
55g on a $ a gallon sale + tons of "breeder baskets".. and a lid so they don't hop to other baskets.

I've love to get my hands on a pair of mustard gas halfmoon plakats to breed (fav color) but I don't think my family would like me confiscating all available bowl/cup ware and table space for babies... plus feeding the young can be a pain, wouldn't want to hatch brine shrimp every day x.x My 55 isn't conducive for betta babies atm, have very strong flow for pleco.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, getting them to spawn is relatively "easy" and raising the fry isn't anything too fancy either. The the difficulty comes with the commitment that is required. You'll need to carefully watch and tend to the fish you're breeding and raising every single day in the process, sometimes several times a day. The culture of the nutritious tiny live food you'll need to feed the fry will be time-consuming as well. So is it easy? Yeah, it's pretty straightforward. It's just super labor-intensive to successfully raise healthy fry to adulthood.

If you're a first-timer I might recommend culling out hatchlings or eggs to reduce the number of fry you'll be working with-- it's much better to raise a smaller batch of healthy fish than to try to raise a larger number but have their health suffer. Once you get a feel for it and you feel comfortable you can go for the whole clutch. On the other hand, since you don't have experience, it's likely that a smaller number will survive than if you had that experience... so it's up to you, really.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am into breeding bettas. It's not easy it's a lot of work time and money. You need a good quality healthy pair. They spawn easy but you have to watch them you can't just trow them in and forget. You need to be ready to pull the female if things go bad. Some breeders have lost good fish male and female when breeding. You have to know what to look for and understand how they spawn.

Then if you get fry they need lots of care. You need to have bbs growing at all times. I also feed vinager eels fir the first food when the fry are under a week old.

As they grow they need more bbs and daily wc.

If you get young adults you will need to jar the males so you need many containers to keep them in and these containers need to be cleaned daily if you don't have a filtration system set up. And setting up a betta barrack is a whole new thing to worry about.

Ok if you have made it to the part where you are ready to sell and now you have 20 males in jars what are you going to do with them all? Will you be able to sell them all localy? I live in a small town not way I can sell all of mine localy. So I have to ship me fish. shipping and selling is another pain.

Breeding these fish is rewarding and fun but I do not recommend it unless you really really really love betta fish and are a little bit crazy. Because they need more care then say breeding angle fish were all the fish can live together and you don't need to separate or know the sex. With bettas you have to keep them till they are old enough to sex and you have to separate the male. You could end up caring to 40 male betta all in different containers. Do you have the space for that? Or the time? Or money if you want to set up a betta barracks?

Forget about going on vacation for the 3-4 months when your fish are young.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I bred Bettas for a while back in college. For me, it was the water changes on several hundred mason jars every week that was the killer. I decided I wouldn't breed again unless I built some sort of rack system to help automate those water changes first. OR tried to become a VERY ruthless culler... which I probably wouldn't be good at following through with LOL

It was a lot of fun, though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts