The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys... I'm starting a 5 gallon tank this week. it'll be med - lightly planted for shrimp & maybe few small fish. problem is, I've got really hard water here (DFW, TX) and I've read shrimp like softer water. Think the GH is somewhere over 150 (not sure, use simple 6 in 1 test strip)...

was wondering what would be the best (easiest) option for agua?? since it's a small tank, figured buying few gallons every week wouldn't be so cost effective if it benefits my little ones'... spring water by the gallon be OK? would it have all the nutrients my plants & Inhabitants need?? any better option? thnx ahead :icon_bigg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx mrgreen, I'm gonna start w/ RCS for now, and get some CRS in few months. thinkin about putting few celestial pearl danio or few Cardinals in there as well... all the detail about shrimp says they like moderate hard water. just was looking for another option beside RO to mix w/ regular water maybe...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thnx Laura, but I though RO water lacks nutrients for plants and inverts?! was just lookin for other options, then tap water. I'll just stick to my hard water for now, but once I bring in CRS in few months, should I mix (e.g. 1/2 tap & 1/2 RO water) or some other type of bottled water??? thnx for ya'll response. :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yes, usually you either reconstitute RO water with a product or mix in a little tap water (like 90% RO water, 10% tap is usually enough).

But it's always best to top off with RO water as F22 mentioned, since evaporation leaves the TDS still in the tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, usually you either reconstitute RO water with a product or mix in a little tap water (like 90% RO water, 10% tap is usually enough).

But it's always best to top off with RO water as F22 mentioned, since evaporation leaves the TDS still in the tank.
glad u mentioned the % to mix.... do ya'll know exactly what's missin from RO water?? and if I dont use fert (will use root tabs & maybe flourish) on my nano (planning on growing just HC, & few moss), would that be OK??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone else top off nanos with distilled?
good point man... never used RO water, but guess will go get some to keep stock in a 5 gallon.

btw, what's the benefit of RO water ya'll?!?! is it more balanced for aquarium or somethin?! thnx.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Well, RO water isn't all created alike... theoretically, the RO filtration process removes just about EVERYTHING from water- but in practice the membranes get old and clogged, different filters have different tolerances, etc...

Trace elements (eg calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese, etc) are needed beyond just pure water.

Seachem has a good product for reconstituting RO water - http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Equilibrium.html

Whether or not you need to add ferts to your tank depends largely on how much light you're putting over the tank. Stick with a "low light" setup and you shouldn't need ferts (I don't add ferts to my own 10gal RCS colony tank).

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
btw, what's the benefit of RO water ya'll?!?! is it more balanced for aquarium or somethin?! thnx.
Reverse Osmosis is a filtration process that cleans and removes solids from hard water. You can buy RO units that fit under your sink, and soften tap water. I recommended RO water to you b/c CRS prefer soft water but you said you have very hard tap water.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, it's a 5.5g tank (16x8x10h) w/ 27 watts (qaud) CF desk lamp. that should be med+ lighting...

& yes, not that herd bout would say over 150 (on 6in1 test strips). and planning on purchase RO water from LFS every month or so once I get started... :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you go for densely planted, high light and/or low bioload, you could minimize the need to do water changes.

Then you could trim the plants to remove some of the nitrate/nitrite from the 'system' instead of doing water changes.

I think that some people on this forum have tanks where they haven't done water changes in months.:drool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you go for densely planted, high light and/or low bioload, you could minimize the need to do water changes.

Then you could trim the plants to remove some of the nitrate/nitrite from the 'system' instead of doing water changes.

I think that some people on this forum have tank there they haven't done water changes in months.:drool:
thnx m8e, but wouldn't risk no water change on a small 5 gallon. it'll be decently planted (HC covering the ground, and small bunch of moss scape I had in mind)... think 20-30% WC be a must for this tank... ah, got a nano canister filter on order for this lil one, btw.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya, for sure... will house 10-15 micro shrimps. and bout 3 (know should be more), Celestial Pearl Danio. that's bout it.... if they do somehow breed (doubt it), got room in my 55 gallon.:biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.