The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20L tank with the cheapest filter money can buy. A wal-mart 15 dollar special. lol. I'm at 1.5 wpg with a few very easy plants. I want to seriously upgrade my filter. Is a canister filter best? I'm looking at the Eheim 2213. Is this overkill?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
2217 for a 20L!! wow. I am running a 2217 on a 200L tank no issues and a 2215 on a 60X45X45 tank !
2213 would be fine for the 20L tank. 20G that would be different
I think he meant 20 Long when he wrote it, a tank of 30x12 footprint. I would go with 2215 for that tank, I have 2213 on 15g Long and it's perfect on that tank.

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusion. It is a 20 long, so 20 gallons. I run a few plants, anubius, java fern and moss, and two crypts. No CO2 and very little ferts. It seems like i'm on the border of 2213 and 2215. Maybe the 2215 is better? I'm not planing on having a lot of plants in the tank, a lot less than most people on here.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think a 2213 would be sufficient but lets see what everyone else thinks

Sorry for the confusion. It is a 20 long, so 20 gallons. I run a few plants, anubius, java fern and moss, and two crypts. No CO2 and very little ferts. It seems like i'm on the border of 2213 and 2215. Maybe the 2215 is better? I'm not planing on having a lot of plants in the tank, a lot less than most people on here.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I rarely disagree with Laura, but this is going to be a rare exception..

I'd reccomend a 2215 at a minimum, if it were "me buying for my tank",
I'd get the 2217 and throttle back the flow a bit using the included
disconnect valves.

YMMV

Larry

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I will go with the 2215. Anyone familiar with Hydor Heaters? I'm looking to get a heater that doesn't take up space in the tank. I'd also like to get rid of my airstones if possible. Is there any way to heat and oxygenate the water in connection with this filter? or any filter?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I will go with the 2215. Anyone familiar with Hydor Heaters? I'm looking to get a heater that doesn't take up space in the tank. I'd also like to get rid of my airstones if possible. Is there any way to heat and oxygenate the water in connection with this filter? or any filter?
The Hydor in line heater is the only one on the market as far as I know and widely used.
As far as oxygen goes just aim the spraybar at the top just til you get a small ripple, that's all you will ever need for gas exchange.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.