The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LFS said not to do it bc bettas will pull the plants out of substrate...have you guys known this to be true? wanted to do some baby tears on the ground and some bacopa and stuff along the back wall

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ty guys makes me very happy. been wanting to add a super gay betta to my tank!

man this is a well respected store, they also told me the 60 lbs of eco complete i bought is garbage bc it raises the ph too high will kill plants, any truth to that????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess u people r right, time to find a new store or at least not take advice from them... they sold me on the fluval substrate and said to at least put it under the eco to balance the ph. anyway, u live and learn

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i guess u people r right, time to find a new store or at least not take advice from them... they sold me on the fluval substrate and said to at least put it under the eco to balance the ph. anyway, u live and learn
Stratum will actually lower your pH, so if you do use that, at least you'll expect to see that drop now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
LFS said not to do it bc bettas will pull the plants out of substrate...have you guys known this to be true? wanted to do some baby tears on the ground and some bacopa and stuff along the back wall
Not true at all! I've had numerous bettas in planted tanks over the years, and none of them ever touched the plants. I don't know where they are getting their info from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks again guys, so psyched to get this guy. the guy at the store said to just put him in a bowl...not judging anyone else but im not sure thats cool to do to the fish. happy he gets some room now! coolest turquoise color

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That is nonsense. Bettas don't have enough strength to pull anything more than a seedling up, and they wouldn't want to. Bettas do like to shove themselves under things, so if there's a loose plant he might shove himself into the roots, but he won't dig it up.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I have currently 8 bettas (1 is my husband's) in planted tanks (each have their own tank) and absolutely no issues with them and plants. They are a PERFECT fish for solo fish/smaller planted tanks!! Which is why I have so many >.>''
Never trust petstores, many say bettas will DIE if you put them in anything larger than a 1g, and that they should NOT have a heater of filter... well guess what, that is all a load of [cesnor]! Bettas do better in tanks with more swim room (I recommend bare minimum 2g but most say 2.5-5g or larger, even 10g and 20g for 1 betta), a filter (gentle flow-sponge filters are easy, small HOBs work too, or stronger hobs and canister filters with some minor mods/adjustments), and a heater (78-82f).. I've even heard of lfs employees say bettas come from the arctic and they need cold water... seriously.. where do they find these idiots....

·
Registered
673 Posts
My betta is in a small 3.5 gallon tank, I have some fast growing stems in there that kind of grew to the top, leaned to the middle and tangled up a bit. My betta made himself a little nest out of it that he sleeps in. When I turn the light on I always know where to find him.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
great info thank you. how about small schooling fish like fancy guppies and neon tetras. would they jive together?
You mean with a betta? Every betta's personality is different, some tolerate tank mates fine, some won't.. and will aggressively hunt and kill anything else in the tank with them. If you try putting a betta with other fish, get the other fish and put them in the tank first, then introduce the betta (if betta goes in first, its more likely to think it owns the tank for itself and not want to share), but be ready to remove one or the other if the betta stalks/attacks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.